Premed 101 Forums

5Th Year: Special Student

TheGoal

Hey, 

I am planning on taking a 5th year after I complete my degree (thus I am graduating in spring). I was just wondering if anyone knows of any of the schools in Ontario that do not consider a 5th year as a special student. Does the 5th year have to be working towards a degree, or they will consider it as a special student. I know Western does, what about the other schools, I haven't found anything online. 

Thank you!

Hey, 

I am planning on taking a 5th year after I complete my degree (thus I am graduating in spring). I was just wondering if anyone knows of any of the schools in Ontario that do not consider a 5th year as a special student. Does the 5th year have to be working towards a degree, or they will consider it as a special student. I know Western does, what about the other schools, I haven't found anything online. 

Thank you!

ottawa doesn't like special years I have heard - although it was hard to get anything definitely about that I found - that means I would email them to be sure etc.

Quick question - why graduate at all? Does your school force you to? There are advantages often to simply staying in the degree one more year.

ottawa doesn't like special years I have heard - although it was hard to get anything definitely about that I found - that means I would email them to be sure etc.

Quick question - why graduate at all? Does your school force you to? There are advantages often to simply staying in the degree one more year.

No they do not, but I finished all my requirements, I thought it wouldn't make a difference if I graduate or not.

No they do not, but I finished all my requirements, I thought it wouldn't make a difference if I graduate or not.

western also has rules for a special year - in particular you can do only one of them.

post graduating sometimes you have trouble accessing courses you had access to before at some schools (you aren't a student type X anymore, and type X students have preferred access to certain courses).

basically ask yourself other than the shear joy of graduating what is the actual advantage of doing it?

western also has rules for a special year - in particular you can do only one of them.

post graduating sometimes you have trouble accessing courses you had access to before at some schools (you aren't a student type X anymore, and type X students have preferred access to certain courses).

basically ask yourself other than the shear joy of graduating what is the actual advantage of doing it?

Yes, I saw those, they are very specific. Thank you, I will have to do some thinking. 

If you don't mind me asking did you have experience taking a fifth year, or just know know other? 

I guess I could, I would have to look into that. I already did a minor in music, I guess I can do a double minor? 

you can - some schools really don't care if you met the requirements to graduate or not - you can just endlessly take courses really. Other places are more strict and you have to create a reason to carry on (just because you declare another minor doesn't actually mean you have to finish it).

It seems there are more advantages to remaining a student than graduating - the courses can move towards a minor or major, you have better access to financial resources, all schools consider the year, western only allows one special year but you can do more than one extra year prior to graduating, the rules for western's special year are a bit weird ha - may or may not be in your best interest to force yourself to follow them, you ensure you have all access to all the courses in your existing major (courses that you probably are pretty good at).......

Depends on your school, but if you dont have to graduate -then don't. You're going to be in school anyways, may as well reap the benefits of having priority access to courses and all that.  As a non-degree student you usually get last pick and have troubles getting into courses.

So, delay graduation if you can -as in, if you aren't being forced to graduate. Here and there some schools will force students to graduate, but less common so...since they want  your money. As long as you aren't taking up year 1 courses that they need.

Yes, I saw those, they are very specific. Thank you, I will have to do some thinking. 

If you don't mind me asking did you have experience taking a fifth year, or just know know other? 

I am a non-trad student (err was I guess) so looked into all of this when I started. Other than that it is just my usual knowledge base and active interest :)

Archived