Premed 101 Forums

Is It Worth It?

ChocoMania

For me to do/continue a special year only so I can be eligible for Western? 

I'm an Ontario resident and writing my MCAT this summer. 

Current Stats:

3.99 Queens GPA

3.86 Mac GPA

3.86 U of T GPA (Don't qualify for weighting) 

3.93 Ottawa GPA 

My reasons for doing the special year are for U of T I don't think I have a realistic shot without a Masters degree and for Mac and Ottawa it could go either way depending on Casper but for Western and Queens it seems like I have a shot if I nail the MCAT. I don't have some of the science pre-reqs (orgo, physics, biochem) and that limits my ability to apply OOP. 

Will doing  a 16-month thesis masters have any benefit for U of T? 

EDIT: Currently in the special year right now and got few bad marks and I'm worried it'll affect my GPA so thinking of dropping a few classes but this would make me ineligible from ever applying to Western. The courses last semester were pre-reqs for a grad program so they weren't a waste or anything but the 5 I'm in now are solely for UWO. 

Thoughts?

Primary focus should probably shift to the MCAT at this point no(?) - you have the grades to apply to several schools but cannot without that. Nail the MCAT and get a strong CARS score and then Western shifts a bit into focus.

Details, details - always the details

so you already have one year above cut off for Western that meets the rules?

you are missing some prereqs etc as you put it - will those impact your mcat prep (probably). How are you approaching that?

well it actually be  special year? will you have graduated?

how are those ECs

probably have more questions as well but that is a start :)

Primary focus should probably shift to the MCAT at this point no(?) - you have the grades to apply to several schools but cannot without that. Nail the MCAT and get a strong CARS score and then Western shifts a bit into focus.

Details, details - always the details

so you already have one year above cut off for Western that meets the rules?

you are missing some prereqs etc as you put it - will those impact your mcat prep (probably). How are you approaching that?

well it actually be  special year? will you have graduated?

how are those ECs

probably have more questions as well but that is a start :)

Realized I forgot to mention the main thing! I'm actually doing my special year right now but I'm based on some grades I've received I'm worried that it will bring down my GPA so I was actually considering dropping a few courses and then starting my MCAT prep early. The classes I took last semester were some pre-reqs for some grad programs that I needed but the classes I'm doing currently are pretty much 5 random classes to meet UWO's rule. 

The ECs I would say are pretty okay, 

3-4 years research experience in a few different labs, poster presentations at national conference, abstracts, 

hospital volunteering 5-6 years

volunteered with kids special needs

exec on various clubs

2-3 jobs (not at the same time) while in school 

long time job held for 10 years 

ran various academic/club events on campus 

community outreach/public speaking

health clinic volunteer

and a bunch of other these I can't remember now but along these lines

Would really value any feedback or input as this has been stressing me out quite a bit and my school's drop deadline is in a few weeks. I know some people apply to only one or two schools and have gotten it but I understand that this is pretty unrealistic based on stats in Ontario so I do want to keep my options open but at the same time is it worth it only for Western.

Unless you're Southewestern ON I wouldn't.

You need a 97th percentile CARS score to apply to Western. This is a gamble at best for most people. It seems risky to spend another year in school hoping to get that 130

Do you think that I would stand a decent shot at the other schools if I did well on my MCAT? I know applying to U of T is probably pointless since I have a below 3.9 GPA and haven't done a Masters. 

I'm currently in school right now and this year would technically count as my special year since I graduated this past June but I'm thinking of dropping 2 of the classes I'm currently enrolled in because I'm worried it'll bring down both my cGPA and my most recent two year GPA for Queens. 

The only thing about Western is that they're admissions seems pretty straightforward in that if you have a 3.9+ and meet mcat cut-offs you're guaranteed and interview while the other schools seem kind of like a black box (especially due to Casper). 

Drop them now, and focus on the MCAT. No point risking your options at other schools by a lowered GPA, just for Western - before you even have an MCAT score that would even qualify you FOR western. That was poor planning, sorry to say ha. 

But not too late, and like you said you needed the term 1 courses anyways. So, yeah, drop the term 2 ones and get working on the MCAT

Drop them now, and focus on the MCAT. No point risking your options at other schools by a lowered GPA, just for Western - before you even have an MCAT score that would even qualify you FOR western. That was poor planning, sorry to say ha. 

But not too late, and like you said you needed the term 1 courses anyways. So, yeah, drop the term 2 ones and get working on the MCAT

I didn't really consider med seriously until last year since my GPA during my first two years was pretty bad. My plan was  to study for the MCAT and write it this past summer but I ended up taking on a bigger research role at my lab on top of my others commitments so decided it wasn't the best time to write but this summer I'm planning on completely dedicating myself to the MCAT. 

Do you know if it's possible to apply to uwo and have them look at your cgpa instead of the best-two years. Planning on calling the school on Monday to ask since I couldn't find anything about it online.

I didn't really consider med seriously until last year since my GPA during my first two years was pretty bad. My plan was  to study for the MCAT and write it this past summer but I ended up taking on a bigger research role at my lab on top of my others commitments so decided it wasn't the best time to write but this summer I'm planning on completely dedicating myself to the MCAT. 

Do you know if it's possible to apply to uwo and have them look at your cgpa instead of the best-two years. Planning on calling the school on Monday to ask since I couldn't find anything about it online.

This is not going to happen. Their policy is to look at the top two years. Besides, even if they look at your cGPA I'd assume they would maintain their 3/5 rule so your cGPA could only be worse than your 2yGPA. 

This is not going to happen. Their policy is to look at the top two years. Besides, even if they look at your cGPA I'd assume they would maintain their 3/5 rule so your cGPA could only be worse than your 2yGPA. 

Thanks, guess that save me a phone call at least. My issues with western is that only one out of my 4 years meets their 3/5 rule. Due to changes in my program requirements I ended up taking a few 3rd years courses in second year so only 4th year meets the 3/5 rule. And my first and second year I had 4 courses. Like I said I hadn't really considered med til recently so I wasn't aware of any of the course load rules and policies :( 

Thanks, guess that save me a phone call at least. My issues with western is that only one out of my 4 years meets their 3/5 rule. Due to changes in my program requirements I ended up taking a few 3rd years courses in second year so only 4th year meets the 3/5 rule. And my first and second year I had 4 courses. Like I said I hadn't really considered med til recently so I wasn't aware of any of the course load rules and policies :(

so your third year (lost the train of the argument I think ) - what did you do during that year?

so far it looks like you already have the wGPA for Ottawa - I wouldn't want to mess with that if you can avoid it - particularly since if you drop courses this no longer would count as a special year for Western, i.e. worst case you could try again.

to open up more schools you need the mcat so that has to be the focus - you need Queens, you need Mac and sure you may be a bit lower for TO but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply there (you miss 100% of the shots you don't take).

Western is just one school - a school that the barrier for is the mcat anyway. Do well enough on the CARS section and you can consider another year and apply under conditional acceptance.

Just some thoughts :)

I feel your pain. I personally really wanted to go to Schulich as I did my undergrad at Western. I did a 5th year just so that I had two years that followed the 3/5 rule and unfortunately it didn't work out with the 130 cutoff for CARS. I've learned to accept that I don't have a shot at Western and you will too. Good luck with everything else.

so your third year (lost the train of the argument I think ) - what did you do during that year?

so far it looks like you already have the wGPA for Ottawa - I wouldn't want to mess with that if you can avoid it - particularly since if you drop courses this no longer would count as a special year for Western, i.e. worst case you could try again.

to open up more schools you need the mcat so that has to be the focus - you need Queens, you need Mac and sure you may be a bit lower for TO but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply there (you miss 100% of the shots you don't take).

Western is just one school - a school that the barrier for is the mcat anyway. Do well enough on the CARS section and you can consider another year and apply under conditional acceptance.

Just some thoughts :)

In third year I ended up taking a few second year courses and also a few first year courses that had now become pre-reqs to complete my degree. So because of this I don't meet the 3/5 rule in 3rd year. Even if I drop the courses now wouldn't it still count as my speical year since you're only allowed to do a special year the year right after graduating? 

I've applied to a few thesis masters programs and I'm considering doing one of those as it's in a field I'm interested in and hopefully will give me a better shot at U of T. 

Yes, you're right my MCAT is probably the best thing to focus on right now. Navigating all of this can be really overwhelming at sometimes so I appreciate all the feedback!

I feel your pain. I personally really wanted to go to Schulich as I did my undergrad at Western. I did a 5th year just so that I had two years that followed the 3/5 rule and unfortunately it didn't work out with the 130 cutoff for CARS. I've learned to accept that I don't have a shot at Western and you will too. Good luck with everything else.

Haha, the funny thing I don't even particularly like Western, just thought my chance might be good there. I definelty didn't expect that cut-off for verbal and I assume that it won't be going down so UWO is a long shot for me too I guess. Congrats on your interview to Queens though! Hope all goes well and thanks for the advice :) 

Haha, the funny thing I don't even particularly like Western, just thought my chance might be good there. I definelty didn't expect that cut-off for verbal and I assume that it won't be going down so UWO is a long shot for me too I guess. Congrats on your interview to Queens though! Hope all goes well and thanks for the advice :)

Thanks and no problem.

Do you think that I would stand a decent shot at the other schools if I did well on my MCAT? I know applying to U of T is probably pointless since I have a below 3.9 GPA and haven't done a Masters. 

I'm currently in school right now and this year would technically count as my special year since I graduated this past June but I'm thinking of dropping 2 of the classes I'm currently enrolled in because I'm worried it'll bring down both my cGPA and my most recent two year GPA for Queens. 

The only thing about Western is that they're admissions seems pretty straightforward in that if you have a 3.9+ and meet mcat cut-offs you're guaranteed and interview while the other schools seem kind of like a black box (especially due to Casper). 

Sure, once you get that 130  CARS it's straight forward. But risking your chances at other schools and spending a year in undergrad on the assumption you'll be in the top 3% of all people who write that section is much easier said than done. Much easier.

If you're unsure, try a free practice test from AAMC, or even buy some CARS practice from them. Verbal/CARS is not something to underestimate, and a high GPA/science scores do not indicate someones ability on CARS. You might be great at it, but there is no way to know, and risking a year on something as trivial as maybe 1 multiple choice questions (129 vs 130) isn't something I'd recommend 

You're more than fine for most of those other schools besides UofT. Consider looking out west too if your total MCAT is good

In third year I ended up taking a few second year courses and also a few first year courses that had now become pre-reqs to complete my degree. So because of this I don't meet the 3/5 rule in 3rd year. Even if I drop the courses now wouldn't it still count as my speical year since you're only allowed to do a special year the year right after graduating? 

I've applied to a few thesis masters programs and I'm considering doing one of those as it's in a field I'm interested in and hopefully will give me a better shot at U of T. 

Yes, you're right my MCAT is probably the best thing to focus on right now. Navigating all of this can be really overwhelming at sometimes so I appreciate all the feedback!

you are only allowed one - but it is a bit unclear as to what that means (i.e. you need to call the office). For instance I now people that took a few courses THEN took a special year. They just made sure that the office knew what was going on - they will never count two special years but beyond that it is a bit less clear :)

Navigating does take a bit - it is a measure twice cut once type of situation. Once you have the plan in place it is a lot easier.

Sure, once you get that 130  CARS it's straight forward. But risking your chances at other schools and spending a year in undergrad on the assumption you'll be in the top 3% of all people who write that section is much easier said than done. Much easier.

If you're unsure, try a free practice test from AAMC, or even buy some CARS practice from them. Verbal/CARS is not something to underestimate, and a high GPA/science scores do not indicate someones ability on CARS. You might be great at it, but there is no way to know, and risking a year on something as trivial as maybe 1 multiple choice questions (129 vs 130) isn't something I'd recommend 

You're more than fine for most of those other schools besides UofT. Consider looking out west too if your total MCAT is good

Thanks for the tips, I think I still have the AAMC practice questions from last summer that I never got around to doing. You're right that I am basing all this on the assumption that I'll even get a score in that range. I think I just needed some reassurance that I still have a shot and that just because western is out doesn't mean that all is lost haha. 

After making the decision to pursue med I feel myself over-analyzing every detail and kicking myself for not planning things out earlier in my undergrad. I don't want to make the same mistakes and then regret it later (like I'm doing now with my course selection from 3rd year) and that's why I want to make sure I've looked at this from every angle and thought of all the possible outcomes before I decide to drop the courses. 

Do you it's too early to consider moving out west for or to Halifax for in-province status? 

you are only allowed one - but it is a bit unclear as to what that means (i.e. you need to call the office). For instance I now people that took a few courses THEN took a special year. They just made sure that the office knew what was going on - they will never count two special years but beyond that it is a bit less clear :)

Navigating does take a bit - it is a measure twice cut once type of situation. Once you have the plan in place it is a lot easier.

Thanks they'll be my first call Monday! Do you happen to know if your friends took those few courses after graduating because I've heard of people do one year with only 2-3 credits in undergrrad, then graduating and doing a special year

Thanks for the tips, I think I still have the AAMC practice questions from last summer that I never got around to doing. You're right that I am basing all this on the assumption that I'll even get a score in that range. I think I just needed some reassurance that I still have a shot and that just because western is out doesn't mean that all is lost haha. 

After making the decision to pursue med I feel myself over-analyzing every detail and kicking myself for not planning things out earlier in my undergrad. I don't want to make the same mistakes and then regret it later (like I'm doing now with my course selection from 3rd year) and that's why I want to make sure I've looked at this from every angle and thought of all the possible outcomes before I decide to drop the courses. 

Do you it's too early to consider moving out west for or to Halifax for in-province status?  

I wouldn't do haifax- I'd go alberta because you get 2 schools with different criteria...or NB if you go east because then you get Dal+MUN

Honestly I don't see that being necessary though. Way too early to worry. 

I get the GPA concerns-trust me-I'm applying with a similar, if not lower GPA than you've got (although I have a wGPA for UofT), and I was worried about not meeting Westerns VR/CARS cutoffs, but I applied elsewhere and it's been better than expected. Give yourself some credit. Your grades are stellar compared to the average student and this will pay off at some point in time. 

Thanks they'll be my first call Monday! Do you happen to know if your friends took those few courses after graduating because I've heard of people do one year with only 2-3 credits in undergrrad, then graduating and doing a special year

they were graduated for sure - trying to do some prereq courses for the US.

I wouldn't do haifax- I'd go alberta because you get 2 schools with different criteria...or NB if you go east because then you get Dal+MUN

Honestly I don't see that being necessary though. Way too early to worry. 

I get the GPA concerns-trust me-I'm applying with a similar, if not lower GPA than you've got (although I have a wGPA for UofT), and I was worried about not meeting Westerns VR/CARS cutoffs, but I applied elsewhere and it's been better than expected. Give yourself some credit. Your grades are stellar compared to the average student and this will pay off at some point in time. 

Yea, the frustrating thing with Western is that since their cut-offs change from year to year I have no idea what to expect. But I`m assuming that the cuf-offs will only increase or stay the same so it would be a bit on a long shot. Since I`m not a trad sci grad (Bsc in psych) even the previous 12 in bio was a bit daunting for me.

Thanks for the reassurance though! It's easy to feel that your stats aren't good enough or that you don't measure up when you hear of people with 4.0s and killer MCAT scores who don't get in lol. I guess I just need to re-direct all my energy into MCAT prep and making every other aspect of my application strong. I`m also looking into doing a heath-related thesis masters  as I would like to work in the health sector regardless of if I get into med so perhaps this will make me a bit more competitive for UofT!

Glad to hear this cycle is going well for you, gives me hope :) Did you apply to any schools out of Ontario this year? 

Archived