Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Course

fru489

Hi,

I'm an Arts student planning on taking the MCAT this August (probably Aug 19th). The only prerequisites I've taken so far are Gen Chem (full year) and Biology (full year). I will be taking a summer course in May and most of June in Organic Chemistry 1 as well.

For someone who has a very limited background in Science, but also has the entire summer (May-Aug 19th) besides one summer course, to study for the MCAT, would a course be worthwhile? 

If so which one do you guys recommend? 

Hi,

I'm an Arts student planning on taking the MCAT this August (probably Aug 19th). The only prerequisites I've taken so far are Gen Chem (full year) and Biology (full year). I will be taking a summer course in May and most of June in Organic Chemistry 1 as well.

For someone who has a very limited background in Science, but also has the entire summer (May-Aug 19th) besides one summer course, to study for the MCAT, would a course be worthwhile? 

If so which one do you guys recommend? 

Whether a course would be worthwhile has more to do with if you are the type of person who is organized and able to plan and stick to a schedule. From my experience, everything said in class is simply written and explained in the textbooks. If you are able to stay organized then I would simply suggest buying the books. I understand that you may be worried about the material since you don't have much background, however, there are a few resources which can help you with this. Khan Academy is a huge one. They have videos on almost everything and they really cater to individuals with no background. I personally had little background in psych and absolutely no background in sociology and was able to get a 130 in that section. Good luck with your MCAT.  

Archived