Premed 101 Forums

2016 Post Interview Talks

Only a few Md/phd acceptances went out.

Well, only two people have posted that they were accepted, but it is possible the rest of those accepted decided not to post. For all we know they only took 6 people this year and 2/6 of them decided to post about being accepted. How do you know only a few offers went out as oppose to all of the offers having gone out?

Well, only two people have posted that they were accepted, but it is possible the rest of those accepted decided not to post. For all we know they only took 6 people this year and 2/6 of them decided to post about being accepted. How do you know only a few offers went out as oppose to all of the offers having gone out?

To be frank, your comment wasn't very clear what you were really asking. No, I don't know that all MD/PhD offers have gone out. You can try to ask on their blog - they seem pretty responsive.

For those still waiting to hear back from MD/PhD, I contacted admissions and they notified me that all offers have been given out so we won't hear back until May 10th now for the MD program D:

At least we can still apply to MD/PhD again if we get accepted to MD! I'm wondering now though if our chances of getting to MD are lower after not being accepted to MD/PhD? I hope not, but I guess only time will tell. 

On 3/22/2016 at 12:49 PM, hardknocklife said:

For those still waiting to hear back from MD/PhD, I contacted admissions and they notified me that all offers have been given out so we won't hear back until May 10th now for the MD program D:

At least we can still apply to MD/PhD again if we get accepted to MD! I'm wondering now though if our chances of getting to MD are lower after not being accepted to MD/PhD? I hope not, but I guess only time will tell.

I also found it hard to gauge. I felt positively about it initially but now am going through that self-doubt phase. Hard to understand how such lax interviews can be judged and weighted so heavily. 

You'll see when you get to med school that literally everyone has done absolutely incredible things throughout their undergrad/life. There's not much objectively separating people even including extracurriculars. The interviews account for much of it because they want to build a class that will not only become great physicians/scientists but also great people that will make the experience fun for everyone.

I would guess an MD/PhD interviewers chances would be slightly lower as it is possible the MD/PhD board wanted you in the program but the MD board did not. That is probably really unlikely though so I think the chances are the same, but definitely a scary thought! It would be nice to know how many of the MD/PhD interviewers typically get into the MD only program, hopefully it's about 50% as it is for the MD only interviewers.

Many people have historically felt good about the UofT interview. I think it's pretty difficult to make a call about how you did- since everyone doesn't get in, there will be people who thought they did well who will not receive an offer and there will be those who thought they messed it up who do. It is best to avoid thinking about it, as difficult as that sounds. If anything, given the competitive nature of the program, I think focusing on completing your current degree and planning for possible rejection/waitlist is best. That way, in case one does not receive an offer, one will have a backup already in place to work with to strengthen the application for the next cycle.

Archived