Premed 101 Forums

Calculating Aq From Letter Grades

Hi guys, 

Is anyone very familiar in how to estimate AQ scores? Or how to convert letter grades/GPA (attended an Ontario University) to %?

I used Table 1 from UBC's admin website: http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/

I converted my letter grades to % and calculated my total average %, but is there a better way to do this?

I have an adjusted GPA of 3.63 which, based on my calculations, is 82.77% which I further estimated to be an AQ score of ~21

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Just worried that I may be off in my % calculation as UBC has another GPA-% table: http://students.arts.ubc.ca/advising/academic-performance/gpa-equivalency/

They'll use the one that they give you, so you probably have the same GPA as them. But how they calculate AQ is a complete mystery, I just went off of the admission stats. 

Also, I have no idea if this is right, but I credit-weighted my GPA because I have some classes that are worth one credit and some that are worth 8. I hope I never find out if I was right or not...  ^_^

Edit: At the end of my degree the credit-weighted GPA is 1% lower than my non weighted GPA, so I'm obviously hoping they use the non-weighted one, haha. 

They'll use the one that they give you, so you probably have the same GPA as them. But how they calculate AQ is a complete mystery, I just went off of the admission stats. 

Also, I have no idea if this is right, but I credit-weighted my GPA because I have some classes that are worth one credit and some that are worth 8. I hope I never find out if I was right or not...  ^_^

Edit: At the end of my degree the credit-weighted GPA is 1% lower than my non weighted GPA, so I'm obviously hoping they use the non-weighted one, haha. 

I think UBC does credit-weigh your grades. I'm doing my BSc at UBC, so I know for sure they credit-weigh your classes to calculate overall GPA for general purposes. It seems logical UBC Medicine would also credit weigh your GPA for calculating AQ.

I think UBC does credit-weigh your grades. I'm doing my BSc at UBC, so I know for sure they credit-weigh your classes to calculate overall GPA for general purposes. It seems logical UBC Medicine would also credit weigh your GPA for calculating AQ.

They do (or, at least, did) credit-weigh grades; I don't think it's on the admissions site anywhere except an old blog post.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have a question. In a hypothetical sense, what would happen if there was a downwards trend from year to year in GPA but the GPA is still competitive? (GPA > 90%?) Essentially, how important are trends in comparison to the actual GPA?

In this hypothetical scenario, this person dropped their last year because it was their lowest year.

Obviously no one knows and were speculating, but I'm curious.

Hi guys,

I have a question. In a hypothetical sense, what would happen if there was a downwards trend from year to year in GPA but the GPA is still competitive? (GPA > 90%?) Essentially, how important are trends in comparison to the actual GPA?

In this hypothetical scenario, this person dropped their last year because it was their lowest year.

Obviously no one knows and were speculating, but I'm curious.

Speculation, but if your overall is still over 90, then you're laughing all the way to the bank.

Don't worry. Unless you somehow got like a 55 average in your last year? Just make sure if there was something affecting your academics in your last year externally, then resolve it. But if you just had a busy year and just dropped to the 70s, i don't imagine it would be a big deal at all.

Speculation, but if your overall is still over 90, then you're laughing all the way to the bank.

Don't worry. Unless you somehow got like a 55 average in your last year? Just make sure if there was something affecting your academics in your last year externally, then resolve it. But if you just had a busy year and just dropped to the 70s, i don't imagine it would be a big deal at all.

Thank you, Commons. You always seem to be my voice of reason.

Archived