Premed 101 Forums

2016 Application: What Are My Chances?

Hey guys so I'm finally at the point where I'm considering applying to UBC med school this summer and can finally make one of these threads so I decided why not.

-GPA: about 75%ish

-BC resident
-MCAT: Not written yet.

-EC's: President of a small but very profitable consulting company for about 3 years. 8 months work experience as a senior's companion for a Vancouver caregiving company. 8 months volunteer experience as a clinical lab tech at a children's hospital. 9 months hospital volunteering as an xray volunteer. Organized a cancer fundraising group for 6 months through the Canadian Cancer Society. 8 months as a volunteer basketball coach for a basketball academy. 4 months experience as a fundraising intern for the United Way. 4 months working in a warehouse. 4 months work as a server at a hotel. 20 months as a member of a mental health support group.

If there is any other pertinent information that might be needed to assess my situation, please let me know!

JAN 15th, 2017 Update:

My average is going to be at least 80% by June 1st. I'm basically asking the same question as before, what are my chances for this summer? No new ECs. I've been quite busy with the business so that is the main EC I have right now. Just to re-iterate it is a small business but very very profitable. What does everyone think my chances are? Also guys, give it to me straight and hard, no fluff, I don't need a pat on the back anymore I'm not at that point in my life thankfully. Not posting for encouragement but rather an honest evaluation. But of course I loved and appreciated everyone's words of encouragement that I received!! :) So what are my chances? No MCAT written yet either.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if I should take an extra year to improve myself as a person and improve my abilities for medical school and beyond. I can repeat undergrad but can't repeat med school of course. I'm also considering applying to top post-bacc programs in the US to attempt for American schools with linkages or otherwise. It is a bit complicated but I need to know my realistic chances at UBC in order to determine what my next steps are.

Hey guys so I'm finally at the point where I'm considering applying to UBC med school this summer and can finally make one of these threads so I decided why not.

-GPA: about 75%ish

-BC resident

-MCAT: Not written yet.

-EC's: President of a small but very profitable consulting company for about 3 years. 8 months work experience as a senior's companion for a Vancouver caregiving company. 8 months volunteer experience as a clinical lab tech at a children's hospital. 9 months hospital volunteering as an xray volunteer. Organized a cancer fundraising group for 6 months through the Canadian Cancer Society. 8 months as a volunteer basketball coach for a basketball academy. 4 months experience as a fundraising intern for the United Way. 4 months working in a warehouse. 4 months work as a server at a hotel. 20 months as a member of a mental health support group.

If there is any other pertinent information that might be needed to assess my situation, please let me know!

Looks like you have some diverse experiences, can't hurt to apply and see what happens. I would just say not to get your hopes up for an interview until you are able to bring up the GPA a bit closer to 80%.  With 75%, your NAQ would literally have to be near the top handful of people applying to meet the cut-off. 

This is of course assuming UBC doesn't change their application process, which they reserve every right to do so. But given how admissions have been done the past 2 cycles, then the above advice stands.

Definitely apply and it will be super useful to find out where you stand. 

*This is assuming you don't have any special considerations in your application.

Are you aboriginal?

Hey, no I'm not.

I've seen your posts! Your persistence is really inspiring. So happy to hear you're applying! Your volunteer experiences look pretty awesome! I really don't have the credentials to comment, but I just had to because I am excited for you!

Hey haha thanks so much for the kind words, the support, and for checking out my story. It is really nice to hear that from you!

Looks like you have some diverse experiences, can't hurt to apply and see what happens. I would just say not to get your hopes up for an interview until you are able to bring up the GPA a bit closer to 80%.  With 75%, your NAQ would literally have to be near the top handful of people applying to meet the cut-off. 

This is of course assuming UBC doesn't change their application process, which they reserve every right to do so. But given how admissions have been done the past 2 cycles, then the above advice stands.

Definitely apply and it will be super useful to find out where you stand. 

*This is assuming you don't have any special considerations in your application.

Hey good points, and thanks for the tips.

I may have a special consideration as well that would explain my low grades but I haven't yet discussed it with my phyisican and really I'm not even sure if he would support that consideration so that is too much of a wildcard to discuss right now.

Is that what you were referring to by special consideration? Because in the explanations section of the app I thought you could disclose extenuating circumstances. Or did you just mean whether or not I was aboriginal?

Hey good points, and thanks for the tips.

I may have a special consideration as well that would explain my low grades but I haven't yet discussed it with my phyisican and really I'm not even sure if he would support that consideration so that is too much of a wildcard to discuss right now.

Is that what you were referring to by special consideration? Because in the explanations section of the app I thought you could disclose extenuating circumstances. Or did you just mean whether or not I was aboriginal?

Yes aboriginal, or potentially disabilities applicant(though I am not sure if there is documentation thats states there is special consideration given - just heresay). 

I doubt I would be in the top handful of people in terms of EC's. It would be highly unlikely I would say. Damn I never thought of it that way. Guess I'll gear up for 2017. But I still might apply this year to see what happens just in case!

I would say that if you do write the MCAT this summer in time to apply for 2016, then DEFINITELY apply.

Re-iterate that even if you don't get an interview, the feedback will be valuable to see how you can improve.

And again, NO ONE knows what the next application cycle will look like. My insight is based purely on previous cycles.

For all we know UBC will tweak their admissions process in such a way that you will sneak by and get an interview without a sweat.

Your chance of an interview is 0% if you don't apply.

Thanks for the replies and input everyone!

I'm currently leaning towards applying this summer. But I'm actually at 73.75% so I'm working on some courses to try to get my average above 75. I think I should be above that but I'm doing some organic chemistry and hopefully that won't bring my average down.

After I get above 75 my next goal is the MCAT. One step at a time :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Rather than making a new thread, I have the same question, different year. What are my chances this year? I did not apply last year.

My average is going to be at least 80% by June 1st (but not over 81 I don't think). I'm basically asking the same question as before, what are my chances for this summer? No new ECs. I've been quite busy with the business so that is the main EC I have right now. Just to re-iterate it is a small business but very very profitable. What does everyone think my chances are? Also guys, give it to me straight and hard, no fluff, I don't need a pat on the back anymore I'm not at that point in my life thankfully. Not posting for encouragement but rather an honest evaluation. But of course I loved and appreciated everyone's words of encouragement that I received!! :) So what are my chances? No MCAT written yet either.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if I should take an extra year to improve myself as a person and improve my abilities for medical school and beyond. I can repeat undergrad but can't repeat med school of course. I'm also considering applying to top post-bacc programs in the US to attempt for American schools with linkages or otherwise. It is a bit complicated but I need to know my realistic chances at UBC in order to determine what my next steps are. I guess the key question is, how are UBC adcoms going to evaluate my experiences? I really have no idea.

Rather than making a new thread, I have the same question, different year. What are my chances this year? I did not apply last year.

My average is going to be at least 80% by June 1st (but not over 81 I don't think). I'm basically asking the same question as before, what are my chances for this summer? No new ECs. I've been quite busy with the business so that is the main EC I have right now. Just to re-iterate it is a small business but very very profitable. What does everyone think my chances are? Also guys, give it to me straight and hard, no fluff, I don't need a pat on the back anymore I'm not at that point in my life thankfully. Not posting for encouragement but rather an honest evaluation. But of course I loved and appreciated everyone's words of encouragement that I received!! :) So what are my chances? No MCAT written yet either.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if I should take an extra year to improve myself as a person and improve my abilities for medical school and beyond. I can repeat undergrad but can't repeat med school of course. I'm also considering applying to top post-bacc programs in the US to attempt for American schools with linkages or otherwise. It is a bit complicated but I need to know my realistic chances at UBC in order to determine what my next steps are. I guess the key question is, how are UBC adcoms going to evaluate my experiences? I really have no idea.

Honest opinion: below average.

You seem like you are at a point in your life where you cant prioritize getting into medical school, which is completely understandable. However, to have a solid shot you'd probably need to make some major sacrifices (spend more time studying for the MCAT, possibly do more UG, etc).

This is something that no one on these forums can decide for you. Solely, based on how much time/effort you are willing to spend and the sacrifices that will cost you. Obviously in the meantime you could toss in an application and apply, there were some posters that got interviews and were sitting around the same GPA as you, it is just rather unlikely.

Whatever your decision is in the future, I wish you the best of luck, I know you have supported many others on here (including myself) and I appreciate that.

This was the formula for AQ evaluation for the 2016-2017 cycle.

1.57907*(AGPA) - 111.0834 = AQ score

If we assume you get an 80% average, and the formula remains similar, you would receive an AQ score of 15.2422

The point cutoff for this year's interview was 52.91 / 100

Therefore your NAQ needs to be at least 37.67 / 50

Based on your NAQs, I'm personally not sure if you'd receive that high of a score.

hope this provides some perspective

Yeah 37 is tough.

The only reason i even ask is because of the specs of my business. We generate around 500k in revenue a year. To put it in perspective I could've taken a pre-tax salary of 200k. This puts me in the top 1% of Canadians for income so I was planning on putting the business in the high performance section of the application. There's definitely a lot of work that goes in to this but I just don't know how much credit they're going to give it. How many points do you guys think a business like this would get?

I guess this should be a warning to premeds then. Even if you pursue a business as your EC and are successful beyond your wildest dreams with a venture that was near a decade in the making. Don't do it because it won't land you much points in your med app.

I'm only kidding. But wrt the business I thought it would've given me a bit of a bump. But it's fine I guess I'll just get an 88 average like everyone else lol. Not a bad thing though.

I guess this should be a warning to premeds then. Even if you pursue a business as your EC and are successful beyond your wildest dreams with a venture that was near a decade in the making. Don't do it because it won't land you much points in your med app.

I'm only kidding. But wrt the business I thought it would've given me a bit of a bump. But it's fine I guess I'll just get an 88 average like everyone else lol. Not a bad thing though.

It is the unfortunate reality of the system, keep your chin up and send an application in after completion of the MCAT. Honestly, you really never know your chances unless you give it a shot.

^ I dont think that will single handedly get you an interview, sure its great but I think you'll need plenty of other ECs to supplement your application for a 37 NAQ

Completely agree. Honestly, your NAQ seems average or a little bit above at best and the low AQ score will really hold you down. 

Yeah 37 is tough.

The only reason i even ask is because of the specs of my business. We generate around 500k in revenue a year. To put it in perspective I could've taken a pre-tax salary of 200k. This puts me in the top 1% of Canadians for income so I was planning on putting the business in the high performance section of the application. There's definitely a lot of work that goes in to this but I just don't know how much credit they're going to give it. How many points do you guys think a business like this would get?

It's completely impossible to guess how many points a single item gets, but my own experience and reviewing other's posts makes me think that being well rounded is much much more important to get a high score than any one activity alone will be (i.e. spending 200 hours on research, 200 hours leading a university club, and 100 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter would probably get more points than spending 500 hours on any one of these activities. But again, this is just an assumption based on a lot of observation). Additionally, being president of a business goes in employment - I believe the application specifies that paid activities do not belong in the non-academic activities section and thus could not be considered a high-performance endeavour. Further more, I'm not convinced that they would place any extra value on the relative success of the business, the points seem to be awarded for human qualities such as leadership, tenacity, creativity, entrepreneurship.

Honestly, I would reevaluate your priorities. If you aren't prepared to sacrifice to make time to invest in volunteering, leadership, studying for the MCAT, and possibly taking more undergrad courses, I have to wonder if leaving a successful business for medicine is really a path you want to go down. 

Completely agree. Honestly, your NAQ seems average or a little bit above at best and the low AQ score will really hold you down. 

It's completely impossible to guess how many points a single item gets, but my own experience and reviewing other's posts makes me think that being well rounded is much much more important to get a high score than any one activity alone will be (i.e. spending 200 hours on research, 200 hours leading a university club, and 100 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter would probably get more points than spending 500 hours on any one of these activities. But again, this is just an assumption based on a lot of observation). Additionally, being president of a business goes in employment - I believe the application specifies that paid activities do not belong in the non-academic activities section and thus could not be considered a high-performance endeavour. Further more, I'm not convinced that they would place any extra value on the relative success of the business, the points seem to be awarded for human qualities such as leadership, tenacity, creativity, entrepreneurship.

Honestly, I would reevaluate your priorities. If you aren't prepared to sacrifice to make time to invest in volunteering, leadership, studying for the MCAT, and possibly taking more undergrad courses, I have to wonder if leaving a successful business for medicine is really a path you want to go down. 

Thanks for the opinion of less hours among more things rather than a lot of hours in one or two things. Interesting thing to consider.

But, do you actually think these other qualities you mention don't apply to running a high revenue business? Also, revenue is a measurement. It can tell a you how much work they've put into something, with a combination of how efficient they are, in most cases. If your business made 50k and mine made 500k we can draw some conclusions right. But anyways, if you actually think those qualities I bolded aren't present in an EC like this, I mean it just seems obvious to me that there's more leadership in this than there is in a student in X club who sells krispy kreme donuts for a few hours week to raise money for their one dance in a semester.

I understand what you guys are thinking though. A lawyer making 400k a year would not get extra points just for being a lawyer. I get that, but I did manage the business during 3 full time semesters as well, and I'd say it goes in high performance because the hours put in were so significant that I did it to the detriment of other ECs and I did successfully achieve significant results with this EC. I don't really think it's debatable that doing this business while in full time school will mean something to the adcoms. I just wasn't sure how much of an effect it will have. The hours for the business are significant. But I think you guys are getting confused by the last couple years where I haven't done many courses while doing the business. I think that is a valid concern during that time and a good thing to consider.

Above all else. We can all agree that the more you take on and the more successful you are in everything you do while keeping a high GPA will be the best way to ensure good chances at any school.  I think hours per week are significant. If you can simultaneously perform well at all aspects of a med school application, then I think that you are on the right track.

Archived