Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Study Time

fru489

Hi,

I have a few questions about the MCAT.

1.) Is May1 - Aug19th too much study time for the current MCAT? I've only done a few prerequisite courses (Bio 1 year, and chem 1 year). I will be doing a semester of Org simultaneously (may - june 20th). I have no other commitments and plan to study full time.

2.) I'm also considering taking a course because I don't have much background information. which course do you guys feel is the best, especially in terms of explaining concepts?

There is no way I can take the prerequisites before.

Any advice on this matter would be strongly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi,

I have a few questions about the MCAT.

1.) Is May1 - Aug19th too much study time for the current MCAT? I've only done a few prerequisite courses (Bio 1 year, and chem 1 year). I will be doing a semester of Org simultaneously (may - june 20th). I have no other commitments and plan to study full time.

2.) I'm also considering taking a course because I don't have much background information. which course do you guys feel is the best, especially in terms of explaining concepts?

There is no way I can take the prerequisites before.

Any advice on this matter would be strongly appreciated!

Thanks

With respect to timing it's all about how quick and efficient you are at making notes/studying. Taking a course could really bog you down, however it will provide structure for you. If you are a person who can structure yourself and stick to your plan, then I would suggest to not enrol in a course. All of the information in MCAT prep courses are in the books they provide so buying the books and using them is just as good if not better because you can go at your own pace. The downside to not taking a course is that you'll have to find your own resource for asking questions but you should be able to be fine on your own. If you decide to go the route of studying on your own, I would suggest to using the aamc guide for what material is on the MCAT, Khan Academy, and choose a test prep book (my own personal preference was Kaplan with Exam Krackers for CARS). I would also suggest to plan your days up to August with a reasonable amount of work that can be completed. If you notice you need more time then adjust the date of your MCAT. I personally like to leave an extra 2 weeks so that there is some leeway if I fall behind or miss some days. If you have any other questions you can PM me. Good Luck! 

Archived