Premed 101 Forums

COPS

Guest BCgirl

I just wanted to get some Dal med students' opinions on the COPS curriculum. Do you feel that you're learning enough with it? For those of you that didn't have a bio related major in undergrad, do you feel like you're at a disadvantage compared to those who did?

Thanks!

Hey BC Girl. The COPS cirriculum at Dal is a hybrid cirruculum where we have both lectures and small group tutorial learning. We generally have 4-5 one hour lectures a week that serve as an overview of the material that you are responsible for covering, and you expand on the material with your group three times a week by working through a clinical case related to the material. I personally like this method of learning eventhough it does take a little while to get used to. It provides some guidance by giving you the overview in lectures but then allows you to be both and independant and group learner at the same time! It also gives you a chance to get to know students in your class on a more personal level since you are together for 6 hours a week for group work. We switch groups for every unit so by the end of the first year you have spent time with almost everyone in the class.

I have a science background so I can't speak for those who don't, but I know that the things that we have covered that I had done in undergrad were much easier to re-learn than new stuff, so it definatley helps!

Guest arcticaguy

aaaah COPS. Just today, I realized how this style of learning has taken over my life. There are times now where if I realize that I don't know something (this is real life we're talking about), my immediate thought is to make it a learning issue! :lol

I do have a science background and I do find that the stuff I had covered in undergrad, is much easier the second time around. However, no one will know everything and so some things will be new and you just adapt to the situation and kick it in to high gear for a week or so, after which you just watch your weekend go by, unproductive.....There are weeks (the last couple included) where the amount of information is mind boggeling 8o and you barely have enough time to work on your learning issues for your tutorial (small group). Now I understand why the Med II's kept telling me re. time management and stress relief.

Since it's really late at night, I'll stop blabbering. In conclusion, science background or not, there's a lot of info, in too little time but you have tremendous support and heaps of fun. So, I like COPS.:D :rolleyes

Archived