Premed 101 Forums

Is There Any Free Time In Cegep When You're In Health Science?

Hi! Of course it's possible to invest your time in other activities including sports! Are you planning on doing your cegep in 2 years (regular time)?

I think your biggest concern would be to try to adapt to the system since you will obliviously have way more material to study. Try to find your balance quickly during the first semester and maybe avoid planning yourself to many activities during that time! Revise your study plan and your note taking system to make it as efficient at possible. 

Other then that, I really think you can add other occupations to your schedule and I would recommend that you do so! Having a well balanced life is important in order to stay mentally and physically healthy! You will also probably fallow this advice once you reach medical school (hopefully :))!

Good luck!

I'm in my 4th semester in Cegep and i'm applying to medicine this semester with a good R-score

What I can tell you about Cegep is that you will have time to do whatever you want! I was doing 8+ hours per week at my job, and about 8 hours per week in community volunteering (helping disabled childrens), and was able to get a R-score of about 35. Although, th key is TIME MANAGEMENT. You must keep up an agenda, and plan what you will do for the next 4-5 weeks. Also, no night out at the bar (it will disable you for 1-2 days). Finally, the most important thing is your grades. NEVER put your studies asides, universities don't look at your EC's (except McGill). 

Hope I helped. 

I'm in my 4th semester in Cegep and i'm applying to medicine this semester with a good R-score

What I can tell you about Cegep is that you will have time to do whatever you want! I was doing 8+ hours per week at my job, and about 8 hours per week in community volunteering (helping disabled childrens), and was able to get a R-score of about 35. Although, th key is TIME MANAGEMENT. You must keep up an agenda, and plan what you will do for the next 4-5 weeks. Also, no night out at the bar (it will disable you for 1-2 days). Finally, the most important thing is your grades. NEVER put your studies asides, universities don't look at your EC's (except McGill). 

Hope I helped. 

Kinda extreme...

Balance is the key.

There's a lot of free time in cegep, in fact i would argue you will never have as much free time.

It's only going to get worst in university and even more med (year 1-2) and by clerkship free time will be a mirage ;)

Point being make sure to take advantage of the time you have right now to do other things than studying or building a CV for med.

Play sports, pick up a musical instrument, find a SO e.t.c

How can you build your CV to make it outstanding? I play various sports, mainly badminton, and I play an instrument. I'm also interested in volunteering. I believe students who went to university to get a degree (i.e Neurology) have done significantly more than a CEGEP student can do.

You mean neurosciences ? Neurology is a specialty of medicine, you can't really get a degree in this field except if you become a neurologist...

I kind of disagree regarding your statement. Cegep students are certainly as competitive as bachelors in all fields. It mostly depends of one's motivation and interest (getting research done early, getting to know strategic people, exposure) versus academic background.

How can you build your CV to make it outstanding? I play various sports, mainly badminton, and I play an instrument. I'm also interested in volunteering. I believe students who went to university to get a degree (i.e Neurology) have done significantly more than a CEGEP student can do.

Hence the separation between people from CEGEP and University.

How can you build your CV to make it outstanding? I play various sports, mainly badminton, and I play an instrument. I'm also interested in volunteering. I believe students who went to university to get a degree (i.e Neurology) have done significantly more than a CEGEP student can do.

Trust me, the medPs are a group of incredibly talented individuals. To my surprise, they're also very mature for their age! I don't really think most students with a simple UG did much more. They're just 2 years older, nothing more. One guy in my class started medP at 17 (therefore started his MD at 18), and he's an extremely talented individual even though he's ''only'' a medP.

@OP, yes it's possible. Some people manage to play competitively while still performing very well, although it would be hard, and it requires a lot of discipline. Some of my buddies from HS played certain sports competitively, and kept doing that in CEGEP, while others stopped (they're in medicine)

In fact, to be able to do well at at school, you absolutely need to be mentally and physically healthy: this means exercising, sleeping enough, and hanging out with your friends. It's basically a must! It might seem hard at times, but you need to find time to take care of yourself. It's easier said than done, but do remember that to do well, you need to BE well.

It's true that you will have more stuff to study in CEGEP compared to high school. You'll need some time at the beginning to adapt (just like everyone else), but don't be scared. Study well, be efficient, don't be one of those ill-willing gunners, have a social life, keep your lifestyle healthy, sleep, don't be intimidated by other students who seem bright (they're insecure from the inside), and most importantly: DO STUDY when you'll be in CEGEP!

Good luck.

Archived