Premed 101 Forums

Do I Have A Chance?

U of T is my dream school but my wGPA is probably going to be ~3.9. I had a concussion last year which really screwed up my marks because I didn't drop any courses, thinking I was ok. I feel kind of good about my MCAT, extracurriculars and research experience, but I'm really worried about my low GPA. Can I still hope for an interview at U of T? I guess I could use the academic explanations essay to explain about my concussion but how would I know if they accepted it, & how would my application be assessed based on this information? 

Has anyone gotten an interview/admission at U of T with a subpar GPA? The average accepted 3.96 is really discouraging for me.

lol thanks guys, I know you're right... but honestly, I'm so frustrated because I know I could have done a lot better last year. Would it be a waste to explain my concussion? It took a huge toll on my marks. :/ 

& yeah, I have always maintained that ANY Canadian med school is my dream school but then I learned that one of my greatest inspirations is an associate prof at U of T med & I can't get over how cool it would be to be taught by him. Quite silly, I know, but now I reeeeaaallly want to go to U of T. lol I feel like I'm asking for too much, though... I would be more than fortunate to go to any school.

lol thanks guys, I know you're right... but honestly, I'm so frustrated because I know I could have done a lot better last year. Would it be a waste to explain my concussion? It took a huge toll on my marks. :/ 

& yeah, I have always maintained that ANY Canadian med school is my dream school but then I learned that one of my greatest inspirations is an associate prof at U of T med & I can't get over how cool it would be to be taught by him.

That's fine to want to go there, but any would be fantastic. 

No one is going to read an essay about how you have a 3.9 but COULD have had a 4.0, that's not something to be explained, doesn't matter what the explanation is. And a 3.9 is far from out of range at UofT. Yeah their average last year was crazy, but it's probably skewed by people with 4.0s, doesn't mean they expect a 3.95

I get what you're saying though. It's frustrating knowing you underperformed for reasons out of your control. I was in a similar situation when I was applying. Ultimately, I decided not to write an academic explanation...the effect my underperforming had on my cGPA wasn't egregious to begin with, and I'm always of the opinion not to draw any negative attention to an application.

TBH...3.9 is a good spot to be in with Toronto. By no means subpar. If your apps as strong as you feel it is, you'll find your way in here.

U of T is my dream school but my wGPA is probably going to be ~3.9. I had a concussion last year which really screwed up my marks because I didn't drop any courses, thinking I was ok. I feel kind of good about my MCAT, extracurriculars and research experience, but I'm really worried about my low GPA. Can I still hope for an interview at U of T? I guess I could use the academic explanations essay to explain about my concussion but how would I know if they accepted it, & how would my application be assessed based on this information? 

Has anyone gotten an interview/admission at U of T with a subpar GPA? The average accepted 3.96 is really discouraging for me.

Ok. Here's my take

I applied with a 3.92 wGPA to Toronto this year, and did get an interview (!). I also wrote an academic explanation essay, for a semester of very low first year grades (due to health problems as well) that tanked my otherwise 3.98GPA to a 3.8 OMSAS. While it didn't effect my UofT wGPA much because of the weighting I still wrote the essay to explain the anomaly

I have no idea if they even read it-and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. But they statement says 'anything on your transcript you don't feel reflects your true abilities' and I felt this fit the description because the illness was beyond my control and kept me out of most of a term of classes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the past few years of statistics I've been watching, I don't think with a 3.9 you have a very good shot. You're in the category where there is a very slight chance you may get interviewed, but most likely not. If you really want to make yourself competitive for UofT, do a Masters degree. GPA is far less important for grad applicants (as you will see many 3.7s getting interviewed) and research/publications/conferences are viewed much more heavily. I've applied 2 years in a row with publications and research in three different labs, I have stellar ECs, and a GPA of 3.9 as well and I never got interviewed. This year I'm still waiting to heart back and I'm curious because I'm applying as a grad student now. 

tl;dr do a MSc to make yourself competitive.

Based on the past few years of statistics I've been watching, I don't think with a 3.9 you have a very good shot. You're in the category where there is a very slight chance you may get interviewed, but most likely not. If you really want to make yourself competitive for UofT, do a Masters degree. GPA is far less important for grad applicants (as you will see many 3.7s getting interviewed) and research/publications/conferences are viewed much more heavily. I've applied 2 years in a row with publications and research in three different labs, I have stellar ECs, and a GPA of 3.9 as well and I never got interviewed. This year I'm still waiting to heart back and I'm curious because I'm applying as a grad student now. 

I get what you're saying, but they should still apply in 4th year regardless. I got an interview with a 3.92 and I don't have anything close to 'stellar ECs' in my opinion at all. Self-evaluations of competitiveness are not necessarily indicative of how the evaluators will view someone.

I also know of many 3.95+ GPAs that got regrets.....point is we never know what exactly they are looking for. Reference letters appear to be worth a lot based on the ppt for refused applicants on the UofT website.

There's no harm in trying! If they need an MSc, then they should do one-if they are interested in research. There are also many other med schools that a 3.9 would be competitive for.....assuming the required MCAT score

I have a 3.9 GPA and am in my 4th year of undergrad. My ECs are strong I suppose, but little research experience which is what UofT seems to like in their applicants. However, still I managed to get an interview this year despite lack of research and lower GPA. I believe that my GPA is still competitive because 3.9 GPA is strong at nearly any other med school, and thus it doesn't deter UofT away from accepting me. But remember that your application is not just your GPA. UofT does an extensive file review. I honestly believe that my letters of reference and my essays were very strong and helped me to get an interview. You have a good GPA lefty07, so don't sweat it. There is so much more to the application that UofT considers besides GPA

I refuse to believe that with a 3.9 you need a masters to be competitive. Also, I will add, that even though GPA is less important for graduate applicants, graduate productivity makes it equally as competitive and is definitely not a guarantee to become more competitive. There are so many elements to this application (not just what you present, but how you present it) and graduate school isn't something you can just do to make yourself competitive.

I'm pretty sure this is a joke or is trying to mess with you.

A 3.9 is more than fine.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input & encouragement! I don't think I want to go to grad school, so hopefully I won't have to lol. I will definitely apply to all Canadian med schools next year & I hope I'll at least make it in somewhere. I'm feeling pretty decent about my extracurriculars, research and MCAT - just the GPA is a little low. & yeah, I watched U of T's video for applicants last year (someone posted it here) & it seems that LORs do get a lot of weight. 

I hope my sincerity shines through in my application, though, because I think that's my main selling point & I know my reference letters will support that. 

Archived