Premed 101 Forums

Carms 2016- 2Nd Iteration

Hey,

Just wondering whether anyone else is applying to the 2nd iteration of CaRMS? I just submitted my applications today. Good luck everyone. I know the stress: I didn't match in round 1 or 2 last year. I'm training in French currently (match post-carms last year) and am hoping to train elsewhere starting in July.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were a program director and someone emails me, I might choose to ignore it. But what are the chances that I will think 'How dare? This is unprofessional. Not inviting this guy for an interview, no way' ?

Honestly if a program director red flags someone because he sent him an email then I would never ever rank his program. He can shove his red flag up his ass

Fuck it I emailed them . Many of them . Who do they think they are exactly . I couldn't care less

Who are they?

They're likely early-to-mid-career academic physicians, of assistant professor rank.  Likely going to face their assistant -> associate review in a few years.  Likely counting on their record as PD to play a not-insignificant part in that review. 

They might be PD because of their burning passion for medical education.  They might be PD because their departmental director said "Hey you, you're up for promotion in a few years right?  Ok you're the new residency program director".  They might be PD because nobody else competent wanted the job.  Regardless of how they got there, they all have similar objectives:

1)  They want their programs to fill, so that there will be enough residents around to provide service.  In some programs that never fill (oh hi there, Western family) this might not be as big a deal as others where the expectation is not only that the program will fill, but it will do so in the first round (looking at you, every program ever at U of T).  

2)  They want their programs to fill with good, trainable residents.  The only thing worse than not getting enough residents is getting the *wrong* residents.   The same senior influential staff who will be very vocal if the program doesn't fill will be *really* vocal if the wrong people get in and they have to deal with the results of the PD's poor judgement for 5 years.  And these are people who you don't want to piss off if you're junior/mid-career staff. 

So the PD's life isn't all bon-bons and chaise-lounges.   Stakes are high for them too.

All of that to say, I don't see how a brief, polite and targeted email to a PD could do anything but help at this point.

It's actually not. The spots you see left over at Western Family every year are initially IMG spots which weren't available to CMGs first round (this is also true of the anesthesia spot left over at Western this year). All the CMG spots tend to fill every year. 

Western Family is quite selective with which IMGs they choose to rank first round and as a result, usually have spots left over in the second round, making it seem like they never fill. Western family is actually quite popular with people in the Southwestern Ontario region, and there are CMGs who don't end up getting their first choice of stream etc. 

Has anyone here interviewed in sask before for anything? Any insight on what interviews are like? informal.. clinical scenarios?  Is it a panel?

During 1st iteration I iv'ed with U of alberta IM and was caught off guard by the interview being 75% clinical.

I will really appreciate any insight. 

Anatomic Pathology: 

Anaesthesiology: 

Dx Radiology: Memorial 

Family Medicine: Dalhousie, 

Pathology: 

General Surgery: 

Hematologic Pathology: 

Internal Medicine: Saskatchewan 

Medical Biochem: 

Medical Genetics:

Medical micro: 

Neurology: 

Neuropathology: 

Nuclear Med: 

ObsGyne: 

Othopaedic Surgery: 

Paediatrics: 

Psychiatry: 

Public Health: 

Rad Onc: 

Urology: 

Has anyone here interviewed in sask before for anything? Any insight on what interviews are like? informal.. clinical scenarios? Is it a panel?

During 1st iteration I iv'ed with U of alberta IM and was caught off guard by the interview being 75% clinical.

I will really appreciate any insight.

It was just an informal thing with a staff and resident. I can't remember if there was just the one interview or two.

Archived