Premed 101 Forums

Autobiographical Sketch - Conferences?

I wouldn't. The point of the sketch isn't to show you can get competitive awards, it's to show what you have accomplished and what you gained from it. 

Others may disagree, OMSAS is all about your personal interpretation of what is important to you. This is just my opinion on what I would do

I wouldn't suggest putting down conferences that you've merely attended themselves, but there's nothing wrong with including merit-based awards, regardless of what they were tied to, if you feel it enhances your sketch in a meaningful way. Provided you play up the "award" part and not the "conference attendance" part, I think it's fine to include them, including those that were not science-related.

I think it would be a good idea to include them. You can also talk about the process of getting the award ( what it entails/why were you selected?),  what you learned throughout the process, and how that impacted you.  You say it was not science related, what was it about? Was it about social issues? If so, you can include how you became more knowledgeable about how social factors impacts health/wellness. 

Archived