Premed 101 Forums

My Chances For This Upcoming Application Cycle?

I was hoping to get some opinions on my application and what people think of my chances to UBC.

aGPA is 85% - I had a rough start but my past 2 1/2 years have been ~3.9 or 4.0 GPA, so a strong upward trend.

I take the MCAT next month so I do not have a score.

NAQ:

Research: 6 conference presentations (including an international conference, and this includes posters and talks). I have a paper that I am submitting for a journal, so hopefully that is accepted by application time.

Clinical: hospital volunteering, in which I am now starting to help develop a new role for volunteers.  I also am involved in a committee at another hospital for patient concerns. I have also volunteered at a suicide hotline.

Non-Clinical: Office assistant for non-profit (4 years), Kitchen support staff at a homeless shelter (5 years, monthly), fundraiser for a food bank, and a board member for a non profit (3 years).

I have had brief shadowing experience, but just for a couple hours.

Misc: TA for one semester, scholarships, and an award for one of my presentations at a conference. I will also be able to add employment throughout my undergraduate education, some portion as a manager (leadership experience).

Does it seem like my NAQ can help bring up my alright AQ? Thanks in advance.

Good GPA! Look at the different categories for the NAQ, that are discussed on the website. It seems like you will still need some more activities IMO if you have time to add some things or can think of anything else you have previously participated in that isn't listed. For example, I think you can list up to three leadership activities. But looks like you have a pretty decent selection! 

Good GPA! Look at the different categories for the NAQ, that are discussed on the website. It seems like you will still need some more activities IMO if you have time to add some things or can think of anything else you have previously participated in that isn't listed. For example, I think you can list up to three leadership activities. But looks like you have a pretty decent selection!

Just a word of caution about the advice above: While it may be a good idea to make your application seem "better" by seeking new activities to participate in, I don't think it's a good idea to seek new activities solely for the sake of your application. If you are going to become more involved, I strongly suggest going after things that you love. The intention of "squeezing a few more things in the year to make my application look better" is not the proper way to think about it, in my opinion. Instead, I think future applicants should think about doing things that they're passionate about, because it is only in the vicinity of this area where people experience lots of things that will further their development as potential doctors. In other words, if you go after activities that you absolutely love to do, not only will you learn a ton of new things, but also that passion will come across your application. Now remember, these activities that you're passionate about are not always in your area of comfort.

Not to say lab2185's advice is wrong, but just to elaborate and give my 2 cents haha :D . Hopefully others who are thinking of applying in future years will read this.

Archived