Premed 101 Forums

Which University Courses For Mcat Success?

canucks_14

So I was just wondering which university courses will help one prepare for the MCAt?

My understanding is that the following courses will be tested on the MCAT:

1st year biology (both semesters)
1st year general chemistry (both semesters)

1st year general physics (both semesters)

2nd year organic chemistry (both semesters)

3rd year biochemistry (both semesters)

1st year psychology and sociology concepts

I am not sure if lab content is going to be tested as well? Also what about statistics?  cell biology courses? genetics courses? Any others that I didn't mention on this list?

I am doing a nontraditional bachelor's degree so I pick my own courses and it may deviate a bit from a traditional bachelor of science. That is why I'm wondering which courses I can take to prepare for the MCAT?

Thanks.

So I was just wondering which university courses will help one prepare for the MCAt?

My understanding is that the following courses will be tested on the MCAT:

1st year biology (both semesters)

1st year general chemistry (both semesters)

1st year general physics (both semesters)

2nd year organic chemistry (both semesters)

3rd year biochemistry (both semesters)

1st year psychology and sociology concepts

I am not sure if lab content is going to be tested as well? Also what about statistics?  cell biology courses? genetics courses? Any others that I didn't mention on this list?

I am doing a nontraditional bachelor's degree so I pick my own courses and it may deviate a bit from a traditional bachelor of science. That is why I'm wondering which courses I can take to prepare for the MCAT?

Thanks.

Those courses simply provide a framework for topics that are on the MCAT, they are not fully comprehensive, and will definitely cover material that is also irrelevant for the MCAT.

You have to use the AAMC guidelines to figure out what topics are covered, and use prep-material and practice tests to hone in on the relevant materials.

University courses are neither necessary nor sufficient for the MCAT, though the ones you've listed will provide a good base to work off of. First year biology can be just about anything, so check to see that the content covered is actually relevant. Cell bio and genetics do come up and those are often worthwhile courses to take regardless, but I don't think you'd be causing yourself too much extra work if you didn't take them. I'd say to take them if they into your plans otherwise, but don't stress if they don't. Physiology comprises a big enough portion of the MCAT that it's worth taking if you've got the space and the inclination.

Still, as Commons points out, the courses aren't going to cut it on their own, and will include a lot of material you don't need for the narrow goal of doing well on the MCAT. You can take every relevant course and get a mediocre MCAT score. You can also take zero relevant courses and ace the MCAT. Courses can help reduce the necessary study time and provide some extra familiarity with the material, but they should never be relied upon in isolation.

Archived