Premed 101 Forums

What Is The New Mcat Like Compared To The Old

MarsRover

hmm I would say a lot more interpretation of the passage and data, and less so stuff that you studied, other than the stand alone questions in the sciences. Psych/soc section was sort of the same, but definitely needed to understand terminology and statistics. CARS pretty much the same as VR except no natural sciences.

hmm I would say a lot more interpretation of the passage and data, and less so stuff that you studied, other than the stand alone questions in the sciences. Psych/soc section was sort of the same, but definitely needed to understand terminology and statistics. CARS pretty much the same as VR except no natural sciences.

In the psych/soc section, are there questions about different study designs? i.e. longitudinal, 3x2 factorial... and biases/confounders? i.e. confouding, Hawthorne, effect modifier etc. 

In the psych/soc section, are there questions about different study designs? i.e. longitudinal, 3x2 factorial... and biases/confounders? i.e. confouding, Hawthorne, effect modifier etc. 

They usually give you a case study of some sort or research study and ask you to interpret the data from the graphs. They may throw in a few questions like "what is the independent/dependent variable" or "what type of research design study is this? "(i.e, longitudnal, cross-sectional etc).  They can ask about bias and cofounders- so in essence yes to the your questions but just not so in depth.  Also good to know statistical significance- knowing what the p-value means as applied to the data given; measures of variability etc.

The EK psychology book as well as the TPR psych book go over it well enough for test purposes. I took a stats class maybe 14 years ago and did fine on the psych/soc section. 

Archived