Premed 101 Forums

Percentile Scores

Percentile scores?

calgary does percentiles, so I see the confusion.

UofA does [your score] (avg accepted, highest score)

So for GPA it would look something like 3.85 (3.91, 4.00)

MCAT would be like 511 (512, 524)

Unfortunately they don't do percentiles, as I think they are much more meaningful, but atleast you get a sense of the averages

calgary does percentiles, so I see the confusion.

UofA does [your score] (avg accepted, highest score)

So for GPA it would look something like 3.85 (3.91, 4.00)

MCAT would be like 511 (512, 524)

Unfortunately they don't do percentiles, as I think they are much more meaningful, but atleast you get a sense of the averages

Thank you for the information. I think it would be most helpful if they told us our actual scores (eg. cGPA (out of 27), MCAT (out of 13), etc are reflective of our percentile in the applicant pool. With raw scores and averages its hard to determine how you compare (unless you are near the average) because it depends on how the scores are converted for each section. eg since cGPA can differ by 2 decimal points where as MCAT scores differ by single points, what does each increment mean for your score? Does improving your MCAT score by 1 point have more impact than improving your cGPA by say 0.05? Or perhaps even more relevant is how the non-academic scores are calculated. If say your ECs are scored out of 30, and there are 5 categories each assigned a single digit between 1 and 6, then perhaps improving your ECs are more important for admissions purposes. A single digit increase in one EC category could mean a greater separation between you and other candidates than say a 0.05 increase in cGPA.

Archived