Premed 101 Forums

Chances? Especially Curious About Naq, Insight Much Appreciated

Hey everyone, just curious about my extra-curriculars and what your opinions are as to how UBC's AdCom might see them.  Thanks in advance for the input!

Awards:

2 small entrance scholarships

3 high school bursaries

research:

directed studies (single semester research project, kind of like a half-honours)

Honours thesis

3 poster presentations for my honours research, one at national conference, one university level, one department level

Volunteering:

assistant hockey coach for 10 yr olds for 1 year in gr 12

lab volunteer for 2 years doing genotyping and training new volunteers

hospital volunteer for 2 years

volunteer with autistic individual helping them with their favourite recreational activities for just under a year

member of a club that fundraises and plans for a yearly trip to honduras to bring medical aid to impoverished community for 2 years

work:

science tutor during my last year of university, employed by the faculty of science to assist first year students

forest fire fighter for 3 summers

gas station for 2 years

dairy queen for 1 year

minor hockey referee for 4 years in high school

other:

tutored a girl for 1 year in high school

certified as emergency medical responder in BC

organized yearly kids day event at the fire fighting base i worked at

avid SCUBA diver, hockey player, and backcountry hiker

mcat:

phys/cars/bio/psych 131/130/131/127 for total of 519 (98th percentile)

aGPA ~90%

prereq GPA ~82% (had a rough first year, very strong upward trend)

IP applicant

Thanks again!

Great MCAT and GPA, apply broadly! 

In terms of NAQ, it is impossible really to judge what is good and what isn't as so many people apply and I don't think anyone except those on the committee really has any idea of what other applicants have. Looks like a decent selection though!

One thing to think about is I expect applications to increase dramatically at UBC next year because of no pre-reqs, so who knows how they will evaluate. If you look at McMaster who also has no prereqs that gives you an idea of how many people could potentially apply. I doubt it will be as high as McMaster but I do expect it to increase dramatically. Just a thought though. 

But I would think you have a really good shot at some out of province schools. I would definitely apply to U of T as I don't believe they look at what province you are from, and you will definitely meet the MCAT and GPA requirements. 

I would also look at the US, as they place a much bigger emphasis on MCAT scores and yours is excellent. 

Good luck :)

Also if you want to start mapping out your NAQ, you can look at the application guide on their website from last year which shows the NAQ categories and see how many spaces you would be able to fill. It is of course not just about filling spaces up, but it is something to look at. 

Nice MCAT score!

I would also suggest you apply to Saskatchewan. This year, as an out of province candidate, if you met the 97th percentile cut off for the MCAT, you were automatically given an interview. I don't believe they look at anything else other than your MCAT score. Assuming the cut off doesn't change too much next year, you are basically guaranteed an interview.

Archived