Premed 101 Forums

Does It Matter If I'm In The First Choice Class (Dawson College)?

yunglord

Hi everyone,

I'm looking foward to attend Dawson College in the Health Science program for fall of 2016! I recently saw that there is a special class named "First Choice class" for the program and you are only invited to join it if you have extremely high grades. Will the university look into that when you apply for Medicine?

(Sorry if my English sounds horrible)

I believe not. And for McGill, there are other factors such as your CV, Narratives, your ECs, volunteering. Just do the best you can in academics, treat them seriously and professionally, and enjoy your experience at Cegep.

Welcome to the Forum.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking foward to attend Dawson College in the Health Science program for fall of 2016! I recently saw that there is a special class named "First Choice class" for the program and you are only invited to join it if you have extremely high grades. Will the university look into that when you apply for Medicine?

(Sorry if my English sounds horrible)

From my experience at Dawson, about the same proportion of people from the First Choice and the regular Health Science stream got into medicine. The First Choice stream is very competitive and some students who were in the top 3 at their high school would sometimes find themselves struggling to keep themselves above average.

Personally, I do not think it would be particularly advantageous to opt for First Choice stream when it comes to med school application because, like mentioned above, MANY other factors are considered is well.

Cheers!

I applied and successfully got accepted to the First Choice Science program. I am beginning to regret my decision though. Is it really that hard/horrible like many people say? Anyone ever had an experience with it?

I heard that you can quit the First choice program and join the regular Health Science stream at the beginning of your second semester. You can also do the opposite. Both programs are similar but in First choice, you get weekly seminar hosted by professionals. You also have the opportunity to 'do' research, publish on Dawson's journal and do many more ECs. Keep in mind that all of this is available to all students!

I heard that you can quit the First choice program and join the regular Health Science stream at the beginning of your second semester. You can also do the opposite. Both programs are similar but in First choice, you get weekly seminar hosted by professionals. You also have the opportunity to 'do' research, publish on Dawson's journal and do many more ECs. Keep in mind that all of this is available to all students!

Yeah i read most of that on their web. Just curious, where have you applied or get accepted to?

So you basically get to do things anyone can do? What a fantastic opportunity! :o

Archived