Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Vs Dal

I do not have much information for you in terms of the actual programs, as I did not apply to the east coast nor do I know many residents from east coast. However, statistically speaking, MUN has had very good match rates in recents years. This could be due to most grads going into family in the east coast, but looking at where some grads have matched (e.g. urology), I feel like MUN may better prepare students for clerkship... Just my 2 cents. 

I also heard that with UofC, every student starts their clerkship with 6 weeks of electives... While they also have 4 weeks of pre clerkship opportunities and tons of IST (independent study time) to set up shadowing, I would still feel wary if what I just stated is correct.

If any current UofC student's could clarify or reaffirm my statement above, I'd appreciate it!

Edit: Wary not Weary lol

I do not have much information for you in terms of the actual programs, as I did not apply to the east coast nor do I know many residents from east coast. However, statistically speaking, MUN has had very good match rates in recents years. This could be due to most grads going into family in the east coast, but looking at where some grads have matched (e.g. urology), I feel like MUN may better prepare students for clerkship... Just my 2 cents.

I also heard that with UofC, every student starts their clerkship with 6 weeks of electives... While they also have 4 weeks of pre clerkship opportunities and tons of IST (independent study time) to set up shadowing, I would still feel weary if what I just stated is correct.

If any current UofC student's could clarify or reaffirm my statement above, I'd appreciate it!

You're correct, except it's 8 weeks. I wouldn't be wary, if that's what you mean. As a student doing it right now though, I'm definitely weary. ;)

In all seriousness though, as I've explained lots of times on here, the electives before cores thing is fine. It's not ideal for sure, but we're far from the only school that has the potential to have most electives before the core rotation of one's chosen specialty.

My experience so far is that as long as you're enthusiastic, work hard, and learn fast, it's fine. I've been successful in getting good evaluations and (presumably) strong reference letters so far.

I would honestly choose a medical school based on where you felt comfortable (also wherever is close to family, if that's important to you!) You'll get a good education wherever, as evidenced by the very similar average match rates across the country!

Archived