Premed 101 Forums

Experiences In Dentist Shadowing?

Hello Friends,

For those of you who have done shadowing of dentist, how did you find your experience and what did you learn from it? I'm assuming most of it was observational? Also, would you recommend shadowing at a big clinic so you can observe different specialties? Last, I know some dental schools like at least some shadowing, I was thinking ~200-300 hours would be sufficient?

Thank you

I shadowed multiple specialities in different places. The bulk of my shadowing was in the US, but I've done shadowing in Europe, South America and Asia. My experience was variable, with the best experiences in South America and the US. It was not only observational since I got to learn how to make retainers, how to do a root canal, how to take an impression, how to drill around the teeth for wisdom teeth extraction, etc. It was really hands-on, which helped than just watching. I've had a lot of experiences, mainly through my University which has sponsored my trips around the world. I think I've learnt the most from OMFS, but orthodontics would be a close second. I've amounted over 200 hours of shadowing in North America and then about another 200 hours abroad. I guess the more you shadow, the more you learn which is reflected in panel interviews more so than any other format. 

I got to learn how to make retainers, how to do a root canal, how to take an impression, how to drill around the teeth for wisdom teeth extraction, etc. 

I hope you're not saying you were 'taught' how on live patients. If so I really hope it wasn't in North America.

I hope you're not saying you were 'taught' how on live patients. If so I really hope it wasn't in North America.

I was taught on live patients, with patient consent. Making retainers and taking impressions are quite simple and are easy to learn while shadowing but other procedures are difficult but a good experience nonetheless!

I shadowed multiple specialities in different places. The bulk of my shadowing was in the US, but I've done shadowing in Europe, South America and Asia. My experience was variable, with the best experiences in South America and the US. It was not only observational since I got to learn how to make retainers, how to do a root canal, how to take an impression, how to drill around the teeth for wisdom teeth extraction, etc. It was really hands-on, which helped than just watching. I've had a lot of experiences, mainly through my University which has sponsored my trips around the world. I think I've learnt the most from OMFS, but orthodontics would be a close second. I've amounted over 200 hours of shadowing in North America and then about another 200 hours abroad. I guess the more you shadow, the more you learn which is reflected in panel interviews more so than any other format. 

No Nobel Peace Prize?!?!

I was taught on live patients, with patient consent. Making retainers and taking impressions are quite simple and are easy to learn while shadowing but other procedures are difficult but a good experience nonetheless!

Those two weren't so much my concern as much as learning 'how to do a root canal' and 'how to drill around the teeth for wisdom teeth extraction'. The gross oversimplification of 'learning how' to do these things aside, I'm amazed anyone let you try to take the helm on either of these at all. I could teach a highschooler how to take an impression but I'm not able to teach them how to navigate a canal or how to trough bone without, you know, a dental school. If you do talk about these experiences in interviews or something, be sure to be clear about the distinction about which actually involved you touching a live patient. I think most people would be taken aghast if you said you 'did a root canal'; it sounds kind of ridiculous, if not terrifying.

Those two weren't so much my concern as much as learning 'how to do a root canal' and 'how to drill around the teeth for wisdom teeth extraction'. The gross oversimplification of 'learning how' to do these things aside, I'm amazed anyone let you try to take the helm on either of these at all. I could teach a highschooler how to take an impression but I'm not able to teach them how to navigate a canal or how to trough bone without, you know, a dental school. If you do talk about these experiences in interviews or something, be sure to be clear about the distinction about which actually involved you touching a live patient. I think most people would be taken aghast if you said you 'did a root canal'; it sounds kind of ridiculous, if not terrifying.

Pure exploitation of those who can't afford other means of getting health care....if it's one of those international trips they did this on

Archived