Premed 101 Forums

Hello there.

I am soon to be an undergraduate program who wants to pursue a career in medicine, but I have been looking for alternatives, such as dentistry. I have been looking on many websites describing the requirements and perquisites of admission into dental school. However, I don't find any non-academic requirements such as references or extracurricular actives, with the exception of the DAT.

Would anyone know anything about the non-academic requirements or if it is even required?

Thanks. 

I don't know much about dentistry but here is what I can say in general..

If you are aiming for med as your first choice program, you will probably need the reference letters and such anyways. So you will probably have what you need for dentistry (with the exception of pre-reqs or the DAT or anything dentistry specific).

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there.

I am soon to be an undergraduate program who wants to pursue a career in medicine, but I have been looking for alternatives, such as dentistry. I have been looking on many websites describing the requirements and perquisites of admission into dental school. However, I don't find any non-academic requirements such as references or extracurricular actives, with the exception of the DAT.

Would anyone know anything about the non-academic requirements or if it is even required?

Thanks. 

This is true. Your GPA and DAT score are the main determinant factors for interviews. Just this year, Western implemented an autobiographical sketch and personal statement to go along with your GPA and DAT but no one knows for sure how much they'll factor in. Other than that, all other schools (except McGill) only look at GPA and DAT score (and interview score) for admissions. 

Archived