Premed 101 Forums

Question About Curriculum

I'm not super familiar with the CBL/PBL lingo because we use different lingo (although I'm sure it's all the same), but:

-Once weekly facilitated (by a doctor) small group sessions with five or six other students

-A few times a week there are small group sessions that revolve around cases (with same group of students)

I think Queen's is considered one of the more lecture heavy schools.  We have about thirty hours of scheduled material each week, which includes the three hour facilitated small group session, three hours of clinical skills, a few hours of "directed independent learning"(online modules/guided readings), with the remainder split up between lectures and small group sessions.  They usually schedule it so that we have two blocks of four hours off per week.  

First year you start off with anatomy, physiology, and a research course, then "block" based learning (by system) starts in second term of first year.  In second year everything is block based. 

Would you be able to elaborate more on the research course please? :) Is that a course that allows students to carry out independent research or is it more so discussing research topics/techniques in medicine? Sorry if this is an overly trivial question, I'm just really interested in research!

Does anatomy lab include dissection?

For first years, the anatomy lab is prosected for you. A group of second-years ( about 10-12 students who demonstrated excellence in the anatomy course in 1st year) will be prosectors and do the dissections for the first-years.

Would you be able to elaborate more on the research course please? :) Is that a course that allows students to carry out independent research or is it more so discussing research topics/techniques in medicine? Sorry if this is an overly trivial question, I'm just really interested in research!

In first year, the research course is called CARL (Critical Appraisal, Research and Lifelong Learning) and it's basically a discussing research papers and how to properly evaluate the papers and determine if the statistics are well done/bias is present/etc. This course does continue a bit into second year.

There is a research course in second year called Critical Enquiry, which is where 2-3 students get paired with a faculty in their field of choice. Over the year you get to design your own research project and have to write a grant proposal. Many students use this opportunity to continue their work in the summer with their supervisor for a research project. 

are the lectures at Queen's all vodcasted like they are at other schools? What time does school start and finish on a typical day for first years?

Also an applicant so I can't answer all of that, but in the meantime, they did post an actual schedule from first year on the interview weekend webpage!

are the lectures at Queen's all vodcasted like they are at other schools? What time does school start and finish on a typical day for first years?

I was speaking to a couple of the first year students during the interview, and they said that although they have the equipment and want to start using it, the classes aren't currently recorded. But audio is posted.

• Coming soon, to a medical school near you (hopefully). Currently we have audio recordings, but the faculty has approved video recordings and they should be up and running... eventually

• Typically we start most days at 8:30, but sometimes we can sleep until 9:30 or 10:30. Those days are to be cherished.

• The latest we CAN go is generally 5:30 with very rare exceptions, but days usually end at 3:30 or 4:30. In first year, you will have 2 half-days most weeks that end at 12:30

Archived