Premed 101 Forums

Did This Interview Score Just Destroy My Chances? (U Of A)

IP

4.0 GPA

74 DAT

23/49 interview  

Is there no hope? This is actually the lowest interview score I've heard someone get so I'm honestly a little crushed right now. I thought I did fine on the interview (clearly now I know I have a lot to work on) and my other stats are pretty great. Anyone think this is the end of the road for me this year? The admissions office told me there is a cutoff score so I'm actually thinking that I might not even meet that.

Your overall application score is 82.3%, and there is typically 1 person each year who gets in with an overall below 83%. So it's not impossible that you get accepted, but if you do you will be getting in off the waitlist in like july and you will be the last person to get an offer.

You had a great GPA and DAT score. Such a shame. I heard in the past the interview cutoff was around 26....however you never know what they will choose for this year.

I assume you practiced for the interview. But the marking is very subjective. I found practicing with other students worked for me.

IP

4.0 GPA

74 DAT

23/49 interview  

Is there no hope? This is actually the lowest interview score I've heard someone get so I'm honestly a little crushed right now. I thought I did fine on the interview (clearly now I know I have a lot to work on) and my other stats are pretty great. Anyone think this is the end of the road for me this year? The admissions office told me there is a cutoff score so I'm actually thinking that I might not even meet that.

Is this your first MMI experience? I helped a number of people who were interested in UofA dent and oftentimes those that scored poorly almost always were ill prepared and/or lacked insight into developing thoughtful answers that demonstrates critical thinking. Obviously your other stats are very good so you have no other worries apart from the interview. I do suggest that you try to do some deep introspection on your strengths and weaknesses and consider a plan of action for how to improve both yourself and your interview for the next time (whenever that may be). 

I'd be happy to chat with you during the summer if you'd like. I'm always interested in reaching out to help students achieve their potential. 

- G

Well I'm not going to give myself false hope guys so I'll just start thinking about next year (would be an extremely pleasant surprise if I was accepted though). I won't have the DAT to write next year either so I can focus 100% on the interview portion. If anyone has any more feedback to give in terms of the cutoffs and low interview scores I'd love to know what you think as well.

Is this your first MMI experience? I helped a number of people who were interested in UofA dent and oftentimes those that scored poorly almost always were ill prepared and/or lacked insight into developing thoughtful answers that demonstrates critical thinking. Obviously your other stats are very good so you have no other worries apart from the interview. I do suggest that you try to do some deep introspection on your strengths and weaknesses and consider a plan of action for how to improve both yourself and your interview for the next time (whenever that may be). 

I'd be happy to chat with you during the summer if you'd like. I'm always interested in reaching out to help students achieve their potential. 

- G

I'll send you a pm, thanks for offering!

I honestly think 2015 and 2016's interview scores are on average lower than 2014 and 2013. I don't have concrete evidence, but from what I've gathered, It is difficult to believe that this year and 2015 acceptances have been getting 39-40 averages on their interviews. I hear a lot of people are getting low 30s marks this year.

I'm hypothesizing that when they've decided to not disclose averages, a process of scaling down the average interview marks (harsher evaluation) was also implemented. Complete guess though. 

If anyone can let me know the MMI averages for 2015, that would be great. 

I honestly think 2015 and 2016's interview scores are on average lower than 2014 and 2013. I don't have concrete evidence, but from what I've gathered, It is difficult to believe that this year and 2015 acceptances have been getting 39-40 averages on their interviews. I hear a lot of people are getting low 30s marks this year.

I'm hypothesizing that when they've decided to not disclose averages, a process of scaling down the average interview marks (harsher evaluation) was also implemented. Complete guess though. 

If anyone can let me know the MMI averages for 2015, that would be great. 

average of accepted applicants was 36/49 in 2015

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm also curious if you guys think I still have a chance at U of A after my interview.

IP

3.84 GPA

76 DAT 

29/49 Interview

You may get waitlisted but don't get your hopes up. Try again if this is your dream school and take the upcoming cycle to learn where you went wrong. OP, same thing.

Archived