Premed 101 Forums

Applying To Dubai's Medical College

I'm a Canadian, and almost done with my first year undergrad in Ontario, and am thinking of applying to Dubai's Medical College, UAE, however before making the decision to go there, I want to know what are the chances of getting into residency by being an IMG? I know its in the list of International Medical Education Directory...I've just heard that its not a good idea to do medical school internationally. 

If you want to practice in Canada, you should try to get into med school here. You're only in first year, even if you don't have the grades right now there's plenty of time to try to improve.

Thanks for replying! Just to clarify, you are saying that it would be harder to apply for Canadian medical residency by being an IMG, right? I know that they've recently started accepting IMGs, but have hardly heard of such cases, so I just wanted to know all the information before deciding. 

Thank you

Thanks for replying! Just to clarify, you are saying that it would be harder to apply for Canadian medical residency by being an IMG, right? I know that they've recently started accepting IMGs, but have hardly heard of such cases, so I just wanted to know all the information before deciding. 

Thank you

Other people can better answer that, but there are already a lot of posts about it here that you can find. Short version is yes, it's a lot harder as an IMG, especially for any competitive specialty. You don't go abroad and expect to come back for radiology.

Other people can better answer that, but there are already a lot of posts about it here that you can find. Short version is yes, it's a lot harder as an IMG, especially for any competitive specialty. You don't go abroad and expect to come back for radiology.

Understood, thanks! I'll look around for those posts.

If you want to see the residency match data for IMGs (meaning how many of them got residency) in the last couple of years, here they are: http://www.carms.ca/en/data-and-reports/r-1/ 

2015 match data of CMGs and IMGs (both iterations): http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Table_1_Summary_of_Match_Results_English.pdf

2015 match data for IMGs by region: http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Table_50_IMGs_by_Region_of_Graduation_English.pdf

The data is scary. Only 421 out of 1984 (21.21%) IMGs matched in 2015. For comparison, the overall match rate of CMGs was 96%. While it is not impossible to match if you graduate from a school out of Canada, you do decrease your chances by close to 5x. 

So if your chances decrease by 5x and your debt increases by 5x, does that mean your life gets 10x harder or 25x harder?

I did my entire elementary and high school in Dubai from a British curriculum however I only completed my AS level credit since I had to come to Canada due family issues, however it is almost resolved so I can come back to Dubai to do medicine but it is still my choice if I want to continue undergrad in Canada. I believe I can get accepted to DMC with my high school grades as they will obviously not let me transfer from only completing first year of a BSs degree to join a second year MBBS degree, so I will start fresh.

I do not have any financial problems as of yet, so I know I will not be in debt. And I am not looking for a "shortcut", I am merely exploring my possible options.

I think one question you have to ask yourself is where you want to practice medicine ultimately. Do you want to practice in Canada or Dubai? The reality of life is that if you get your MD from Canada you would be most likely suitable for practice at either location. Alternatively, if you plan to stay in Dubai in the future (or places that openly accept their credentials), I think you would be better off with just getting an MBBS from there.

Oh one other thing you could do btw is graduate from Dubai, and apply for residency at other countries like US, UK or Australia etc (your school would have be certified to be able to apply for residencies at these other locations - pick carefully if you do decide to go). Once you're done residency from one of these countries and you become a full physician, you could make your way to Canada and practice. This is waaaaaayyy easier said than done. There are or could be many obstacles with this approach (writing numerous insanely difficult licensing exams, possibly lack of valuable clerkship experience, high cost etc.). I would not recommend this approach at all, but I do want you to know its possible. 

If I were in your shoes (and had the intention of practicing in Canada in the future), I would not go to Dubai. It is risky. I would work hard to get into a Canadian medschool instead. 

Archived