Premed 101 Forums

American Vs Western 2016 Interview

This question is directed to anyone who had an interview at Western this past weekend who also received interviews at American schools.  It is my understanding that American schools use a similar format to Western (traditional-style).

Can anyone comment on the similarities/differences between the interview experiences?  I'm curious to see if having American interviews before the Western interview (next year) will help prepare me.

This question is directed to anyone who had an interview at Western this past weekend who also received interviews at American schools.  It is my understanding that American schools use a similar format to Western (traditional-style).

Can anyone comment on the similarities/differences between the interview experiences?  I'm curious to see if having American interviews before the Western interview (next year) will help prepare me.

Actually American schools vary quite greatly in their interview style. Many will use panel(traditional) style, some will do 2:1, and many are starting to do MMI (or already doing it) also. 

And yes, having other interviews will definitely help prepare you for western - if not for the simple reason of having prior exposure to a stressful situation, and confidence boosting. Get your "interview day" routine so to speak in order.

Actually American schools vary quite greatly in their interview style. Many will use panel(traditional) style, some will do 2:1, and many are starting to do MMI (or already doing it) also. 

And yes, having other interviews will definitely help prepare you for western - if not for the simple reason of having prior exposure to a stressful situation, and confidence boosting. Get your "interview day" routine so to speak in order.

Just curious, have you personally been interviewed at any American schools? If so, which one? And what was your experience like, compared to Western?

From personal experience, it wont help you much except give u pre-exposure to a stressful situation. Western definitely wasn't traditional and very different from the usa schools. The ones I interviewed at were very conversational and it didnt even feel like an interview. Main questions I got asked: "Why you applying to the USA?" or "Can you tell me more about yourself?"

Western was 1000x harder. 

I interviewed at UoP(3yr school) and Case Western. I had other interview offers but rejected because I had already been accepted so cant tell you how other schools really are. 

From personal experience, it wont help you much except give u pre-exposure to a stressful situation. Western definitely wasn't traditional and very different from the usa schools. The ones I interviewed at were very conversational and it didnt even feel like an interview. Main questions I got asked: "Why you applying to the USA?" or "Can you tell me more about yourself?"

Western was 1000x harder. 

I interviewed at UoP(3yr school) and Case Western. I had other interview offers but rejected because I had already been accepted so cant tell you how other schools really are. 

Hahaha, yes. From my experience, I can say that all other interviews I have went to for dental school in the U.S. were easier than Western's interview. The interview this past weekend was interesting, to say the least. 

Archived