Premed 101 Forums

May 10 Support Thread

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering... Am I the only one that's really worried that their acceptances are mistakes...? I know, I'm probably paranoid, but it's a strange feeling after prepping myself to receive rejections. Anyway, congrats to everyone that got good news today!

It's called impostor syndrome.

I will likely be taking myself off the wait list for Ottawa, if that helps at all? But maybe you're ahead of me anyway :)

Alternatively, you may want to hold out for your top choice, you never know, Ottawa may start the waitlist movement early and you don't get penalized by Mac for holding out till the last day

Although of course I'm biased myself :P

And as rmorelan said, it doesn't go away for a lot of people! I've heard staff physicians say they still have moments.

definitely ha - it would be a rare resident that didn't have those moments regularly.

Had moment like that a few days ago when I was stabbing someone in the back at 2am (lumbar puncture ha). That is right - all by myself with no backup at all, I get to stick needles in people's spinal canal.

I just declined my offer from UofT, so that will hopefully help someone out.

Good luck!

Good for you. I remember your thread from last year and I sympathize. However, excuse my asking, why did you choose to attend an interview when you had decided to work instead? Surely someone who may have been just as qualified as yourself but denied an interview could have had a chance at an acceptance.

Good for you. I remember your thread from last year and I sympathize. However, excuse my asking, why did you choose to attend an interview when you had decided to work instead? Surely someone who may have been just as qualified as yourself but denied an interview could have had a chance at an acceptance.

Don't ostracise someone for their decisions, I'm sure they had their reasons.

You may note that now someone who did interview, but wouldn't normally be accepted, has a chance (even if it's at another school).

However, you must realize that applying has a very large opportunity cost (both financially and for its time investment), and so I wouldn't have done it if I was simply thinking of declining my offer. Naturally, things changed in a few short months, and I'm now looking at a really cool job offer that I don't want to pass up. I would quite literally be at the top of my career track roughly when entering residency, and so the opportunity cost is far too great now.

I don't want to mislead you either - medicine is still my dream job and I'm thankful that my acceptance stands as a testament to the fact that someone in my life situation could make it big. Unfortunately however, it's a case of "too little too late," and ultimately, medicine's become too much of a high stakes game for me.

You were defeated by the system but you did it eventually. Now you're leaving medicine on your own terms - congrats!

Unbelievably awesome message from Math to Med....medicine is not the only path to happiness and nothing is really the only way to happiness...it all depends on what we want with our life..I respect your decision good luck

Archived