Premed 101 Forums

May 10 Support Thread

Well the Maritime schools do a pretty good job of truncating the process.

By only a couple month. Applications need to be initiated by August 15th at Dal, and are due Sept 1st. And you need to finish the MCAT by early august, so it's a trade off

I agree, it was amazing to hear before the year was over, but it's only a couple month difference overall, and they get a lot less applicants than ON schools (but similar to other western provinces)

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ugh, this all just sucks. What a loooong year. I seriously think they could make this process more efficient, I get all the other responsibilities they have and the crazy number of applicants, still I highly doubt the process couldn't be improved to make the waiting times a bit more reasonable between app and interview and interview and offer. 

There's actually talks about making it into a match similar to CaRMS, but it's probably years away at this point. It wouldn't make it any faster for the initial offers to be released, but it would avoid the slow process of filling the class that occurs in may/june/july.

Yes, that's exactly how it works. If you are waitlisted at your top choice and accepted at another school, you have to take the offer and withdraw from the rest. Which is why someone in that case might not accept the offer until the very last day, just in case the waitlist starts to move. 

Didn't read the whole thread and am not sure if it's been cleared up, but the waitlist actually moves before the initial 2-week period given to people to accept their offers. So if you get one offer but is waitlisted from your first choice school, I recommend waiting the full two weeks to see if you move off the waitlist before accepting the offer.

Didn't read the whole thread and am not sure if it's been cleared up, but the waitlist actually moves before the initial 2-week period given to people to accept their offers. So if you get one offer but is waitlisted from your first choice school, I recommend waiting the full two weeks to see if you move off the waitlist before accepting the offer.

Thank you for clarifying!

By only a couple month. Applications need to be initiated by August 15th at Dal, and are due Sept 1st. And you need to finish the MCAT by early august, so it's a trade off

I agree, it was amazing to hear before the year was over, but it's only a couple month difference overall, and they get a lot less applicants than ON schools (but similar to other western provinces)

I would still much prefer this...I mean the couple months makes a difference to my sanity. The application process basically starts one month in advance but ends way more than one month in advance. How long do you have though to let them know if you will accept the offer? I imagine it's more than the 2 weeks we have in ON or do you just have to take it, which basically means you can't wait for a Western or ON school's decision (or Quebec too I would imagine)?

I would still much prefer this...I mean the couple months makes a difference to my sanity. The application process basically starts one month in advance but ends way more than one month in advance. How long do you have though to let them know if you will accept the offer? I imagine it's more than the 2 weeks we have in ON or do you just have to take it, which basically means you can't wait for a Western or ON school's decision (or Quebec too I would imagine)?

I still had 2 weeks, and I did have to pay the non-refundable deposit even though the deadline to accept was ~1 month before OMSAS offers. But like any provincely-biased schools, it-seems like a good number of people didn't apply and/or interview OOP (except MUN) which is understandable if you're whole life and family is in the maritimes. And the MUN/Dal deadlines overlap so it helps with the deposit issue for most

But I agree with you, even that extra 1.5 months of knowing is a huge stress relief. Best 500$ ever spent lol

Although by the  end of the 4-5 month post-interview wait I had replayed the parts I wasn't happy with about 10000x in my head :P

I still had 2 weeks, and I did have to pay the non-refundable deposit even though the deadline to accept was ~1 month before OMSAS offers. But like any provincely-biased schools, it-seems like a good number of people didn't apply and/or interview OOP (except MUN) which is understandable if you're whole life and family is in the maritimes. And the MUN/Dal deadlines overlap so it helps with the deposit issue for most

But I agree with you, even that extra 1.5 months of knowing is a huge stress relief. Best 500$ ever spent lol

Although by the  end of the 4-5 month post-interview wait I had replayed the parts I wasn't happy with about 10000x in my head :P

We all hear you on that last one...I feel like this is a universally acknowledged feeling that just happens for I'd be willing to bet over 90 percent of applicants (completely made up that number). I am so happy that regardless of the perceived negative points of your interview, you still did well and got an acceptance. With that in your back pocket, you can actually enjoy the rest of the ride a bit more.

We are nearly in the home stretch guys...mother's day is two days before decisions and my mom actually happens to be visiting me right now (OK, I seriously think she timed this so that in case it's bad news, I am not roaming the streets wandering, disheveled and homeless because I've forgotten how to get home or something)...so first time in a few years I can spend mommy day with her, I need to do something special. Anyone has ideas, let me know. 

Another question for you guys- have you decided whether your opening THE email with family/friends/alone? I am back and forth still on this one. Getting ice cream at next week's grocery shop is on my list though...

step 1) Change into pajamas (which I like to do anyway when I get home from work)- still figuring out to have family or friends around, will need to amend this step when I have it figured out

step 2) Take out ice cream --specifically haagen dazs- and put it on kitchen counter (I think for many, this can be replaced with EtOH or why not both lol)

step 3) Sit at my computer and log into my email

step 4) Close my eyes and make a silent prayer

step 5) Open the long awaited and incredibly dreaded email

step 6) Either celebrate with me ice cream or drown my sorrows in it

I think that about sums it up...

We all hear you on that last one...I feel like this is a universally acknowledged feeling that just happens for I'd be willing to bet over 90 percent of applicants (completely made up that number). I am so happy that regardless of the perceived negative points of your interview, you still did well and got an acceptance. With that in your back pocket, you can actually enjoy the rest of the ride a bit more.

We are nearly in the home stretch guys...mother's day is two days before decisions and my mom actually happens to be visiting me right now (OK, I seriously think she timed this so that in case it's bad news, I am not roaming the streets wandering, disheveled and homeless because I've forgotten how to get home or something)...so first time in a few years I can spend mommy day with her, I need to do something special. Anyone has ideas, let me know. 

Another question for you guys- have you decided whether your opening THE email with family/friends/alone? I am back and forth still on this one. Getting ice cream at next week's grocery shop is on my list though...

step 1) Change into pajamas (which I like to do anyway when I get home from work)- still figuring out to have family or friends around, will need to amend this step when I have it figured out

step 2) Take out ice cream --specifically haagen dazs- and put it on kitchen counter (I think for many, this can be replaced with EtOH or why not both lol)

You've put quite a bit of thought into this!

Re: Mother's day. If you're in Thunder Bay, I suggest Caribou Restaurant. That's my go-to whenever I'm in town or want to celebrate.  :)

I think that about sums it up..

I envy your self-restraint ! Haha I thought all about how/when I would open the email. Then I got it, total surprise, since we just had 'Sometime in March' and it all went out the window...

It was 7am (time zones) so it woke me up on my phone. I was half-asleep, and once I realized what was happening I forgot my plan and just covered my eyes, pinched my leg, clicked open, then squinted with one eye to try and see if was good/bad in the least painful way possible 

I envy your self-restraint ! Haha I thought all about how/when I would open the email. Then I got it, total surprise, since we just had 'Sometime in March' and it all went out the window...

It was 7am (time zones) so it woke me up on my phone. I was half-asleep, and once I realized what was happening I forgot my plan and just covered my eyes, pinched my leg, clicked open, then squinted with one eye to try and see if was good/bad in the least painful way possible 

Omg this is what I did with my interview emails haha.

This sounds more realistically like what is going to happen...I leave for work at 7:30 so as long as no emails come in before that I should be good...lol...no data on my phone for once works out...

Have all of the ontario schools confirmed that they'll be releasing decisions on may 10th? I know u of t has, but what about the rest? Or are they just "by may 15th" with no specific date?

Mac said in their interview e-mails that decisions would be made on May 10th. I'm pretty sure Ottawa did as well, but I can't remember where/when I read it.

Is anyone else experiencing that slow, creeping anxiety about admissions decisions? It just keeps getting worse.

As a matter of interest, what were the titles of the emails for acceptances and rejections last year?

Does anyone know?

I know westerns was like "Good news for Schulic Medical School"

The e-mail titles for acceptance for some schools were :
"University of Toronto MD Official Offer Letter"
"Queen's School of Medicine Admissions Status"

"Offer of Admission, McMaster MD Program - ______ Campus"

I don't know the rest.

Mac said in their interview e-mails that decisions would be made on May 10th. I'm pretty sure Ottawa did as well, but I can't remember where/when I read it.

Ottawa said they would send their decisions out the morning of May 10th at their info session on interview day.

Is anyone else experiencing that slow, creeping anxiety about admissions decisions? It just keeps getting worse.

As a matter of interest, what were the titles of the emails for acceptances and rejections last year?

Does anyone know?

Oh yes, I totally can empathize with that feeling. I am swamped with other obligations...doesn`t matter though...it may be on the commute to work or just those moments when there is a moment to think, and it goes there....or other things too...like...the other day, my manager mentioned she wanted to me to work September long weekend...at our work, we all work about 1 weekend a month and a few long weekends a year, on rotation...so anyway, I obviously was like sure, secretly hoping I`ll be in school by then. Another week and a bit of this...unless it`s waitlist...NOSM`s waitlist moves very little though, so if I`m not in the top 10 on the waitlist, I will solidify an acceptance of having to wait another year...and then if it ends up being good news later on...I can always be happy about that...

It`s nice that Ottawa said it will be in the morning...I think NOSM usually emails in the morning but they didn`t say and I don`t want to be refreshing incessantly...

I don`t think NOSM lets out whether accepted or rejected in the subject line like some schools but correct me if I`m wrong...

Solid, A+ plan in my books  :P 

The day I found out, my family was around, and they kept tiptoeing around and watching me with this look of "Has she checked yet? Does she know yet? WHO'S GONNA ASK?" I finally told them they'd know when I did (not true lol). I preferred checking and having some alone time to process the outcome, whatever it was, before sharing the news.

Mind you I started yelling about 5 second later, so not much alone time.

Does anyone know?

Schulich Acceptance:

"Good News from Schulich Medicine"

Schulich Bad Wait List (pronounced: rejection):

"Your Application to Schulich Medicine"

Toronto Rejection:

"University of Toronto Medicine: Final MD Application Decision"

This year has had so much waiting!

• Over a month for the MCAT
  • 3 months for interview invites
  • 2 months till interviewed
  • Over a month for final decisions

Haha it's kind of like I've chronically been in limbo these last few months. 

sounds like my life...except instead of `few months, insert few years...

I hear you guys on the "waiting" part. My life has been uncertain since I gave up my career path almost 3 years ago. At the time medicine wasn't even on my radar - but it's interesting how life comes together. I'm definitely ready for the next stage in my life, whatever it ends up being.

Schulich Acceptance:

"Good News from Schulich Medicine"

Schulich Bad Wait List (pronounced: rejection):

"Your Application to Schulich Medicine"

Toronto Rejection:

"University of Toronto Medicine: Final MD Application Decision"

Anyone know what the subject line for Ottawa looks like? 

Archived