Premed 101 Forums

My verifiers are all people that I am pretty close with so I'm sure they would have told me if they had heard, and it doesn't look like as of yet they have. Looking back in previous years, this doesn't necessarily mean anything either way. I don't have previous experience with the process but for those who do, please feel free to chime in.

oh ok, yea that's an important point because I wondered about before too. I thought that a verifier check was basically a truth check whereas a reference check is something a bit more than that, in my mind. I don't know if they still just call them to verify or like a job ref check where thy want them to elaborate on qualities etc.

One of my references can speak very extensively about my volunteer work in N.O. ...so I will keep an ear out from him to see if he gets a call/email. Pretty much all my verifiers preferred email so I wrote their email in the extra box they have for the verifiers (and wrote preferred)...wonder whether they will call or email

hmm it's interesting to note that quite a few of you guys have verifiers contacted. I do think the verifier selection is a random process but that is just what I think, it may not be so. It would make total logical sense that those they are considering seriously are the ones worth taking the time to check verifiers for...but I don't think it works like that as they probably have a reasoning behind why they want to keep it random, at least if it's still going the way it was in past years.

Anyone else have verifiers or references contacted so far? I started thinking the other day...I wonder if they already have their list ready to go...and it's just a matter of sending out the emails on the 10th now...or if they are still thinking about it, I'd imagine it's pretty close to if not final by now.

As bad as it would be I'd rather be in waitlist purgatory than have an outright rejection

I was in waitlist purgatory last year. Even though the chances were small, I changed my program from a 4 year to a 3 year so that I could graduate with a degree in case I was accepted. When the final waitlist email was sent out, I reapplied to do my honours year, and have just completed it. The waitlist was definitely better than a rejection email, but with its own challenges when it comes to planning your life (especially with potentially relocating a family). 

Very true, as a 21 year old just finishing my undergrad I didn't think of stuff like that. Do you know how much the waitlist moved last year? I've heard it only moves 10 spots or so usually, but I also heard that two years ago, someone who was #20 on the waitlist got in (although the person who told me that may not have had their facts straight).

I just checked the email from last June, the waitlist only moved 12 spots. 

I remember reading that somewhere too- it didn't move to number 15 as many were thinking. It seems to be moving less and less every year:( If you're beyond number 15 in my mind, that's not waitlist purgatory anymore...it's time to accept it's probably not happening this year and planning for something else for the next yr or set said plan into motion...I'd even make that 12 or 13 with recent trends.

Very true, as a 21 year old just finishing my undergrad I didn't think of stuff like that. Do you know how much the waitlist moved last year? I've heard it only moves 10 spots or so usually, but I also heard that two years ago, someone who was #20 on the waitlist got in (although the person who told me that may not have had their facts straight).

I've been part of a wait list that moved 19 spots

Thanks for letting us know MDwannabe02! Really hoping you don't need to even worry about waitlist next cycle and you get right on the main list.

Anyone else's verifiers contacted since our last update?? Mine haven't been. I guess they technically have 6 more business days to contact verifiers but...it seems unlikely to me that it would be that last minute...I am imagining that they probably have one more meeting this week to confirm the final ranking of everyone....oh gosh just thinking about them doing that gives me goosebumps....so crazy.....well, we are privileged to be able to experience this though, we should keep that in mind.

May 1st on Sunday....getting down to the final home stretch....

• 2 weeks later...

Just coming back to this thread and reviewing it now that acceptances have come out, it seemed to be a pretty even mix between those who were accepted and had verifiers called/ those who weren't and had verifiers called/those who were and did not have verifiers called/those who weren't and didn't have verifiers called. Just thought I would note that there wasn't a trend this year either. I am almost certain that they probably have a certain percent of files that they will check each year and have their computer or some other random process choose out that percentage of files...so it makes sense that in this batch, all admission outcomes would likely be present just by chance, not by any planning on their part. Incase future applicants browse this thread, I just wanted to add this in.