Premed 101 Forums

For Those Accepted: How Much And What Were Your Medically Related & Community Related Activities

Hello,

I am a non trad and I only have one medically related volunteering experience (Meal Assistance Volunteer at a Hospital).I'm not sure if I want to volunteer as a meal assistance volunteer as I am finding that I'm not learning much and its not worth my time. So any other suggestions would help.

I have no community related activities, so I was wondering what counts as community related.

Also, I'm currently in Halifax.

Any help would be appreciated  :)

Although medically related volunteering experiences may be useful, you want experiences that demonstrate altruism and compassion, e.g., visiting the lonely elderly who are in elderly homes, Big Brothers, Big Sisters and any experiences that show CanMEDS competencies which may even be work related. In hospitals, if you can do recreational therapy with patients, just playing cards, chatting, board games, etc. is wonderful and uplifting for both the patients and yourself.

Although medically related volunteering experiences may be useful, you want experiences that demonstrate altruism and compassion, e.g., visiting the lonely elderly who are in elderly homes, Big Brothers, Big Sisters and any experiences that show CanMEDS competencies which may even be work related. In hospitals, if you can do recreational therapy with patients, just playing cards, chatting, board games, etc. is wonderful and uplifting for both the patients and yourself.

I completely agree with everything here, although I think (given the duplicate post) they were referring to a specific section on the Dalhousie application for medically related experience, which is separate from the other section for 'volunteering'. It's a bit different then OMSAS schools which don't really care if it's medically related, but when I spoke to Dal about this they really did emphasize that medical experience is more important to them then it is at other schools. 

That said, to the person who posted this, if you do have hospital volunteering i wouldn't get to worried, just try and do whatever interests you and continue that. I only had 1 long-term medical volunteering commitment, plus a couple summer long experience that were 'medically related', but just check out the websites of hospitals/care facilities in Hali and you'll see there's tons of opportunities there

When I lived in Halifax I volunteered at the IWK, specifically in the Children's Heart Centre. The people who run that department were always very willing to give me new tasks to keep me stimulated, so perhaps look into that? I've recently been volunteering in the ER of my local hospital, and it's never boring as you might imagine. I hear the IWK has a similar volunteer program in their ER, so check that out as well. 

Archived