Premed 101 Forums

Learning Hobbies?

moneyking

Calligraphy, yarn crafts (knitting, crochet,) some drawing, music (woodwinds), and then my pets are a big hobby. I like to keep busy...

No way! 

I'm a huge fan of arts and have recently gotten into hand-lettering/calligraphy! I also LOVE crochet and knitting, drawing, watercolors/painting... And my pet is my baby.

I haven't played my flute in a while though!

No way! 

I'm a huge fan of arts and have recently gotten into hand-lettering/calligraphy! I also LOVE crochet and knitting, drawing, watercolors/painting... And my pet is my baby.

I haven't played my flute in a while though!

How coincidental, haha. Though flute is one I don't play. I play clarinet, oboe, recorders (they are real instruments! I have a sopranino, a soprano, and an alto) and I have a fife around here somewhere but I almost never play it. I haven't played regularly or with others for years, but I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to practice during the day when no one's home. 

My office is my happy place. I have half of one of my shelving units dedicated to my artsy stuff since I don't want my kids getting into my pens and inks or instruments. And, as those who've been to my house can attest, the pets are an intrinsic part of our lives. My quaker parrot is sitting on my shoulder right now, and the cockatoo is upstairs snoozing on my husband. 

Mechanics: just bought a motorcycle. Trying to learn how to do all the maintenance and even some basic repairs. Loads of fun. Tools aren't cheap thought...

Woodworking

Cooking

Drawing

Playing guitar

Computer programming

PS: woah the two first things really do fit with my specialty stereotype...

• 3 weeks later...

Glass fusing and lamp working have been my latest go-to activities.

I also draw and paint, I've dabbled in digital art and I pick up a violin from time to time :-) 

I also spend a lot of time hanging out with my dog (and the other pets too). I took the dog through a few agility classes and those were super fun. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Mechanics: just bought a motorcycle. Trying to learn how to do all the maintenance and even some basic repairs. Loads of fun. Tools aren't cheap thought...

Been riding to work for a month now. Time to do an oil change and flush the coolant. And learn how to do it :) At least my BF has all the tools!

Right now my "hobby" is learning how to stage my house to make it appealing to buyers. Along with that learning how to keep a house clean (basically spotless) when you've got two little kids running around. It's amazing how nice your house can look though when you take everything out of it!

Now I need to find a hobby for my kids to do that keeps them out of the house for the next month or so :)

Calligraphy, yarn crafts (knitting, crochet,) some drawing, music (woodwinds), and then my pets are a big hobby. I like to keep busy...

I love calligraphy!

There's barely enough time to get good enough at one thing, so I choose to draw and work in oil paint. Though, I don't really consider it a hobby since I'm aiming to do it professionally within the next 2-3 years.

It's nice to see someone else interested in medical illustration.  That was once a goal of mine, but art has since become more of a secondary consideration.  I still digitally paint quite seriously and freelance concept art on occasion.  If the mood if right I enjoy my watercolours/gouache and subtractive sculpture, but it's hard incorporating it into my future career.  It'll hopefully all come together one day though. :)

I love calligraphy!

It's nice to see someone else interested in medical illustration.  That was once a goal of mine, but art has since become more of a secondary consideration.  I still digitally paint quite seriously and freelance concept art on occasion.  If the mood if right I enjoy my watercolours/gouache and subtractive sculpture, but it's hard incorporating it into my future career.  It'll hopefully all come together one day though. :)

Haha, medical illustration was NEVER a goal mang. I'm more for magic the gathering, perhaps even some movies. I might even join a video game studio.

• 2 weeks later...

Sports are my hobby! Love beach volleyball, soccer, skiing, running, swimming, and wandering around exploring near sights and sounds.

I like keeping aquariums, but with moving so much lately, it has been impossible. As soon as I have a permanent place I'm going for a salt water aquarium! SCUBA diving is also a hobby coincidentally. 

I also enjoy reading (non medical things). I tried my hand at the arts, but it just wasn't meant to be. I played piano as a kid and highly enjoyed that, but haven't been at a piano in ages! Maybe I should take up water colour ...?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In terms of sports / activities, I really enjoy swimming, yoga, and running :). I am currently learning the violin (  but I only take one lesson per week so my rate of learning is super slow).

I also spend a considerable amount of time reading articles on social justice, homelessness, and initiatives to end homelessness in Calgary in the next few years. In addition, I really like to learn about the services and resources available to help out marginalized people in our community.  I try to make sure that I am up to date about all these information, because I like to be helpful to my clients.

In terms of sports / activities, I really enjoy swimming, yoga, running.

I also spend a considerable amount of time reading articles on social justice, homelessness, and initiatives to end homelessness in Calgary in the next few years. In addition, I really like to learn about the services and resources available to help out marginalized people in our community.  I try to make sure that I am up to date about all these information, because I like to be helpful to my clients.

That seems like a good idea! Just curious, are you a social worker or in a different healthcare/nonprofit role? Just trying to put a context what job you do that you do all that reading for.

Yes, I am a counsellor. I am also doing a research project on the various risk factors that lead to homelessness and women's experience of homelessness ( there are not a lot of papers on women's experience of homelessness, although they make a significant and growing percentage of homeless population :(

Yes, I am a counsellor. I am also doing a research project on the various risk factors that lead to homelessness and women's experience of homelessness ( there are not a lot of papers on women's experience of homelessness, although they make a significant and growing percentage of homeless population :(

Oh wow that is such fascinating research! And I have to say that is great that you read up on social services and resources for your clients. I think it means a lot to provide that valuable information because in my opinion it's not really feasible to expect the client to find out this information on their own.

Forgot to mention my hobbies! Some of mine are weightlifting, running, hiking, tennis, antiquing, writing, and the past few years I've developed an interest and been reading up on demographics, aviation, and urban planning. More recently I've also developed an interest in technology and innovation, finance, industry and business in general. Oh and I'm pretty into real estate but haven't actually bought any of my own yet. So more just an observer haha.

Archived