Premed 101 Forums

Hello,

I am currently enrolled in a BSc degree at Queens University (Biology). I will be going into my 3rd year of school. 

Now, my first two years of undergrad were pretty bad. Due to personal issues, etc. they were both <3.0 gpa. I am determined to do extremely well in my 3rd and 4th year of undergrad. Would taking an additional 5th year of undergrad help my chances? Now keep in mind I am open to all dental schools in Canada.

What dental schools count only your best two years of gpa? I browsed the forums and only found Western does this. Also, if I did pursue a 5th year of undergrad, would it still count towards my degree.... i.e. what if I hit all of my courses and pre reqs in 4th year and could graduate at the end of the year. Would that mean i could not continue my degree and take an additional 5th year only to boost my gpa and hopefully have it counted. 

I'd really appreciate any help from individuals who were in similar situations and if a 5th year is worth it. 

Manitoba drops your worst year and allows for two retakes. Their AGPA is calculated very strangely. So perhaps check their application bulletin to see where you stand. 

Good Luck :).

At the same time, you need a minimum core course GPA (bio, chem, physics, orgo, biochem) of like 3.80 for OOP so the chances of Manitoba are very slim for OOP (especially with only a max of 4 seats)

At the same time, you need a minimum core course GPA (bio, chem, physics, orgo, biochem) of like 3.80 for OOP so the chances of Manitoba are very slim for OOP (especially with only a max of 4 seats)

It really depends on how the grades are converted to Manitoba's 4.5 scale. A 3.8 is between B+ and an A.

^ lol.

I honestly forgot I applied to manitoba until I got an invite. I had some very odd questions at that school.

But yeah apply to Manitoba if you have a carving score, near guaranteed invite

Manitoba no longer needs carving. Still a difficult school to get into for OOP though.