Premed 101 Forums

Focusing On Gpa Vs Ec

Its funny how everyone suggests changes and says "its in the best interest of the patients". People with high GPA say to focus on GPA and say it shows academic ability and people with low GPAs tend to say GPA isn't a good indicator of academic ability, we should focus on EC more... Everyone is just trying to change the system so they have a better chance of getting in...

Because

*gasp*

wait for it......

we have different opinions on what is important and

*gasp again*

many factors play a role in choosing the person who has the highest probability of success both academically and professionally.  

- G

Its funny how everyone suggests changes and says "its in the best interest of the patients". People with high GPA say to focus on GPA and say it shows academic ability and people with low GPAs tend to say GPA isn't a good indicator of academic ability, we should focus on EC more... Everyone is just trying to change the system so they have a better chance of getting in...

People with high GPAs worked their butts off. I don't disagree with them when they make that point about academics.

People with high GPAs worked their butts off. I don't disagree with them when they make that point about academics.

To be fair, people with "amazing" EC's also have to work their butts off too - and we all have to work our butts off in some way or another in order to be competitive applicants. 

They're both important considerations, and everyone has different opinions on their importance. I don't blame people for being biased one way or another!

As someone with strong ECs and a weaker GPA (compare to other premeds) I used to have such mixed feelings about this.
These days I would  council people to ensure that their GPA is the best it can be. Obviously do you and have pursuits outside of school, but GPA should come first.
I'm kicking myself saying this but it's generally true.

I think GPA/MCAT=ECs=Interpersonal Skills. If any component of your global assessment has an obvious deviation from the group in a negative way I suspect its difficult to recover in the process--regardless of your excellence in the other categories. For example, I had competitive stats and ECs last year, but had rough interviews and got a year off to improve on my interviewing skills while working/saving.

I think GPA/MCAT=ECs=Interpersonal Skills. If any component of your global assessment has an obvious deviation from the group in a negative way I suspect its difficult to recover in the process--regardless of your excellence in the other categories. For example, I had competitive stats and ECs last year, but had rough interviews and got a year off to improve on my interviewing skills while working/saving.

This, pretty much, especially for UofA.

GPA+MCAT = 40%

PAs = 30%

Interview = 30%

Archived