Premed 101 Forums

2016 Waitlisters Unite1

How is everyone feeling?  I have gone from shock, to feeling really confused, to the verge of crying, to the thrill of hope, to exhaustion, and now (hopefully) to some measure of clarity.  It's been a wild 3 hours.

In my mind, these are my main 3 thoughts I've figured out, and can apply to all of us.  Therefore I want to share:

1. Not knowing where I am on this waitlist means that there is still hope.  Hell, I could be #1 for all I know.  Therefore, DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE.

2. Not knowing where I am on this waitlist means I am incredibly dependent on premed101 for any information that can be at all helpful.  Therefore, Waitlist thread CREATED.

3. Waitlisters, and in particular LURKERS on here who have been waitlisted:  WELCOME! PLEASE POST!

Hang in everyone. Let's talk, have each others backs, and increase our numbers.  As soon as any of us have gotten any offer, please post.  Until then, when in a moment of doubt and pain, refer to thought #1.

RR

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Rural_Roots,

In the same boat, I was so happy to be atleast waitlisted at first- and now I'm extremely upset. If I knew my rank I would either be A: Happy I had a good chance I was getting in, or B: realize there's not chance I'll get in but still know I had a strong application. This makes the entire process very difficult for myself. 

Could the wording of the email indicate how far down the list we are? I know that ottawa does that, they send different waitlist emails for people who are likely to get in off the list vs that are further down and less likely. Thoughts?

Going to be refreshing this page for another 2 weeks now until may 24th... Here I thought I'd be done with Premed101 at least for a little while.. 

Hi ____,

NOSM will not be providing any type of information of what position an applicant’s holds on the waitlist.

Regards,

The Admissions Office & Learner Recruitment 

Northern Ontario School of Medicine

So we are all officially waiting for that email to come. Hopefully at least one of us gets in- Goodluck everyone!

Hi ____,

NOSM will not be providing any type of information of what position an applicant’s holds on the waitlist.

Regards,

So we are all officially waiting for that email to come. Hopefully at least one of us gets in- Goodluck everyone!

Wow.

Hey! Previous lurker here...

First time applying and waitlisted. 

I had a question for some of you who have been waitlisted previously:

1. When could we hear from NOSM? (i.e. if we are being offered a spot since some people have already mentioned they are declining their offers)

Hi ____,

Regards,

Double Wow. I think they are probably trying to be consistent with the rest of the schools, as none of the others give you your ranks from my understanding. There are some great things, like ranks, that made NOSM stand out in the admissions process in my mind so I would hate to think they are getting away from these things that set them apart in a good way.

Hi ____,

Regards,

Thank you originalname1025 for emailing them!

Hey! Previous lurker here...

First time applying and waitlisted. 

I had a question for some of you who have been waitlisted previously:

1. When could we hear from NOSM? (i.e. if we are being offered a spot since some people have already mentioned they are declining their offers)

Welcome All_Canadian!!  I (we) are so grateful that a previous lurker has decided to post - the more of you we get, the better our odds are at getting information re: waitlist movement!

To answer your question, last year the waitlist closed June 3rd, and had moved 12 applicants;  although I hear (unconfirmed) one or two more wailtisters were taken after that date.  

I imagine how quick we hear regarding waitlist movement is based on how long people take to decline their offers.  Based on our waitlist thread from last year, an applicant who was waitlisted #7 received a call 13 days after the initial offers of admission came out.  So if it's anything like last year (which it may not be, who knows), I think it could take two weeks to go through the top ten on the waitlist.

RR

Thank you originalname1025 for emailing them!

Welcome All_Canadian!!  I (we) are so grateful that a previous lurker has decided to post - the more of you we get, the better our odds are at getting information re: waitlist movement!

To answer your question, last year the waitlist closed June 3rd, and had moved 12 applicants;  although I hear (unconfirmed) one or two more wailtisters were taken after that date.  

I imagine how quick we hear regarding waitlist movement is based on how long people take to decline their offers.  Based on our waitlist thread from last year, an applicant who was waitlisted #7 received a call 13 days after the initial offers of admission came out.  So if it's anything like last year (which it may not be, who knows), I think it could take two weeks to go through the top ten on the waitlist.

RR

Thank you so much RR. It has been so helpful to have this forums. 

It really sucks we don't have ranks this year...I thought when I saw the letter I had no chance I was getting in then I realized (from this forum) that it's not ranked so I realized I do still have a chance. What a roller coaster. 

How's everyone doing?  I found some small measure of comfort in the weekend as I knew there was 0 chance of getting a phone call.  Now back to Monday and my stomach is in knots...trying to Jedi mind trick NOSM into calling me.... 

Something that I try to keep focussed on, is that this time of year in previous cycles I was ranked waitlisted too far down to have a hope and I was crushed.  The anxiety of not knowing notwithstanding, this is still a better and certainly more hopeful situation to be in.

RR

I totally agree....it's good and bad at the same time.

If I knew I was far down the list I would be able to move on and focus on Plan B....but with the hope still there I find it very difficult to make any sort of Plan B as I don't want to commit to moving anywhere, jobs, etc. 

As much as I like the hope I wish we knew the position we were in so we can plan more effectively. Ahh well...guess I am going to be constantly refreshing my e-mail for the next week or two :( 

I totally agree....it's good and bad at the same time.

If I knew I was far down the list I would be able to move on and focus on Plan B....but with the hope still there I find it very difficult to make any sort of Plan B as I don't want to commit to moving anywhere, jobs, etc. 

As much as I like the hope I wish we knew the position we were in so we can plan more effectively. Ahh well...guess I am going to be constantly refreshing my e-mail for the next week or two :(

What's Plan B for you All_Canadian?

Oh gosh, I am currently not working as I just finished my second undergrad degree...haha

I could do a masters (have that set up if I decide to) or work. I am leaning towards working as I don't want to commit to a 2 year research masters now.

So I would say work is Plan B...but that means finding a freaking job in my field...

How about you RR? 

Oh gosh, I am currently not working as I just finished my second undergrad degree...haha

I could do a masters (have that set up if I decide to) or work. I am leaning towards working as I don't want to commit to a 2 year research masters now.

So I would say work is Plan B...but that means finding a freaking job in my field...

How about you RR? 

Plan B will likely be heading to Peterborough for Trent's 28 month compressed Bsc nursing program.  I recently declined my invite to interview for Mac's PA program.   That was something I was kicking around for a while. 

Plan B will likely be heading to Peterborough for Trent's 28 month compressed Bsc nursing program.  I recently declined my invite to interview for Mac's PA program.   That was something I was kicking around for a while. 

At least you have a good backup!!! I hate this unknown...no idea what I am going to do hahaha

You guys are all in my thoughts. It seems constructive to focus on developing a back-up for now. One thing I don't think I understood very well when I was younger is that just because it's a back-up, it doesn't mean it's forever...it may only be a back-up for a year or two or a couple before you get in. Whatever the in-between time is. In my case, I was in a bad personal place when I graduated from university and I knew I didn't have the mental state of mind to plunge ahead with med school applications so I was going to wait out a few application cycles. In the meantime though, even when I started to get back on my feet after about a year, I still didn't feel like I could just do anything else because I was so passionate about med. The reality is probably it would have been better if I had used those years to work (I only started working full-time in the last year), not only because that adds to your wealth (and will help you if you need to dip into it later when you certainly will for med to limit debt any way you can) but also because it's good to be productive and do something with your time for your mental sanity. It's definitely possible to start in a role and expect it may only last a few years, although I may not share that with your employer just because med is after all not a sure thing and it can be painful when people ask repeatedly...with me it was like...oh so did you finally apply this year..."no, no I didn't"...but the more common is probably asking about whether you got in, and I would personally hate that. But to each his own on this one. One thing though, if it's a masters, please realize some supervisors want you to stay on after because it's an investment of their time and effort...and I had one supervisor tell me outright, he had so many students leave him for med/pharm that he has grown really distrustful of high-achieving Sci majors that seem like they are ambitious, went so far as to tell me he wishes he could have a guarantee that they will stay in research (Of course, that's a bit wacko but you get where I am going with some supervisors feeling jipped after the fact)...so in that case, be honest and respect their time/funding/money in you too. I just said at that point, OK I can't be sure, I am only considering options at the moment so it's best if I not proceed with this. Took a step back and realize a masters would just not be for me, and it shouldn't be used as a time-filler- that's just not it's purpose. 

This is also a time when you can develop a skill that is not med related and we know how much med schools like that too, it shows your well-roundedness and it really will help you I think overall be more passionate about your goals (at least it did for me). Many jobs don't care what degree you have as long as it's a degree...and I would look into those types of jobs if you have a trad science degree like I did...which just isn't very practical for anything but research, which I didn't enjoy (plus lab work does not pay well, that is secondary for sure though so if you enjoy it, go for it). Have you ever dabbled in anything else? For me, I ended up trying out a role in the business field, where there is opportunity for growth. No, I didn't love it but it did help me make ends meet and save a bit in the meantime and it was good life experience. Plus, if anything it re-ignited my passion for med.

Definitely think outside the box of masters, research, more school etc although those are great if you are passionate and committed to that! Remember with a masters, many schools don't let you apply in-between and some even require supervisor signing off on your application or their LOR (I am thinking of Calgary maybe? I think here I think I read that somewhere on their board)...

Another part of the back-up plan is where else did you apply this cycle or where else will you apply next cycle? And how can you make yourself more competitive for those schools, not just NOSM.

Archived