Premed 101 Forums

Wait List Support Thread

Hey guys. Just thought I would start this. Feeling crummy. But let's support each other.

Before we get started...

1) Historically, does the wait list move a lot?

2) How big is this wait list?

3) Does what we put as our preferred site affect where we are placed on the wait list?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah this sucks.

1. Around 35 people decline. They shorten the wait list in mid July.

2. I think the wait list is ~80 people

3. Yes, since UBC claims there are multiple wait lists depending on site.

Stay strong is my advice to all of us

Hey guys. Just thought I would start this. Feeling crummy. But let's support each other.

Before we get started...

1) Historically, does the wait list move a lot?

2) How big is this wait list?

3) Does what we put as our preferred site affect where we are placed on the wait list?

No. Applicants are ranked based on their merit and then they go down the list of waitlisters and fill up the spots as they open, so you might not get your preferred site initially but youll be on the waitlist to get your preferred site if it opens up. 

No. Applicants are ranked based on their merit and then they go down the list of waitlisters and fill up the spots as they open, so you might not get your preferred site initially but youll be on the waitlist to get your preferred site if it opens up.

Thank you, batman. When I read the previous post, my heart sank.

Yeah this sucks.

1. Around 35 people decline. They shorten the wait list in mid July.

2. I think the wait list is ~80 people

3. Yes, since UBC claims there are multiple wait lists depending on site.

Stay strong is my advice to all of us

Where did you get the idea that about 80 people are waitlisted? 

Just a bit hesitant given that the admissions team would waitlist an X number of people based on the previous year of applicants who rejected their offers.

I am so sorry! I misread your 3rd note. Batman is correct. Your preference will not change your rank on the master list but if your name comes up, they look at your preferences and if that site has a spot then you will be offered it. Say if that site is full, then you go the next one on your preferences if it's open. So the only way your preferences would affect your offer would be if you marked not interested for a site or you don't have a rural suitability score (NMP).

It is a guess that I think there are ~80 folks on the wait list. I have no inside information. I don't think UBC over accepts due to its multiple sites. If around 35 people decline their offer then I think those go to the wait list. The bottom half of other 45 people on the list get shortened in July and the final wait list is probably around 20 people. I think the wait list is too long but it's to adjust for aberrant years such as a few years ago when 70 something people declined.

Good luck to everyone on the wait list. I am also in the same position as you guys and am hoping for the best!

Just a waiting game for now, but hopefully the majority of us are victorious in the end! To those of you who have been accepted, congratulations! To those who have received regrets, keep trying and you will soon succeed.

If anyone hears of any movement, please post as it will be beneficial for us to know!! 

Approximately how many of you are IP vs OOP on the waitlist? I am IP, btw  :)

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/2015/05/11/waitlist-questions/

Reading this, I believe there are at least 4 (even 5) waiting list. Each list for one site. 

For example, if someone who accepted a VFMP offer has an opportunity to go to their more-preferred site of IMP, we send them an IMP offer. They have the option to decline IMP and stay at VFMP so we do not send any offers for their VFMP spot. If the person accepts the IMP offer, we would send the VFMP offer in the following round.

So initially they said that at any time a spot could open up but now they are saying that the next round will be after the 25th. I am assuming that because this is under the "waitlist" category, that this applies to us? 

Has anyone actually gotten accepted from waitlist yet?

Movement wont happen until the deadline for those with offers to accept, which i assume is may 25th.  So the first round of waitlist offers(people being pulled from the waitlist into the class) will occur after may 25.

So initially they said that at any time a spot could open up but now they are saying that the next round will be after the 25th. I am assuming that because this is under the "waitlist" category, that this applies to us?

Has anyone actually gotten accepted from waitlist yet?

Waitlist offers will come via email in waves. Information about these waves will be posted to the UBC blog, but usually they are about a week or so apart. Which means you will only have a couple days to accept. This period gets shorter and shorter as we get into the later waves

Archived