Premed 101 Forums

522 Mcat - Cp130/cars132/bb129/psy131 - Ama

alsdjflks

Hey guys, did well on the MCAT and wanted to help out future physicians. Ask me anything.

You've probably been asked this a lot but any advice for CARS?

I wrote CARS last year and scored a delightfully unexpected 127, as I was averaging 125-126s on practice tests and also didn't feel great after I wrote it. While prepping I pretty much exhausted most practice material out there: all AAMC stuff including past tests, EK 101, even some TPR, TBR, and Kaplan (lol I know). I do plan on re-doing all of it when prepping for this year but I question how representative my scores will be. So far I'm scoring consistent 127s but feel like it may be inflated as I certainly remember the passages although not the details nor the actual question answers.

My question is: what do you recommend I do going forward? Also as an aside, what is your view on dedicating a solid 2-3 hours of general reading a day (which I enjoy) as a secondary method to improving one's CARS score?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Kaplan books too but I'm not entirely sure exactly how to use them yet. I noticed that they don't have passage based questions in the books and only a few online, so what did you use to practice passage based questions? Also what was your study schedule like? 

Hey! Just to confirm.. are there 9 Cars passages for the 90 minutes? 

And did you find that your scores on Princeton and Kaplan practice tests if you did them were indicative of the score you received.. in other words.. did you get 520+ on those as well ?

Thank you:) 

I can't recall the # of passages.

No, I got roughly 505 avg on Kaplan, and 507-508 for TPR. They're more difficult than the real thing. There's actually a spreadsheet on student doctor forum where people post their practice tests vs. real test scores. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Skypemmi. Thanks for taking the time to help us out!

How would you rate the AAMC section bank questions as an accurate reflection of the real deal? I noticed they're trickier and I feel like they're much more interdisciplinary and experimental in their presentation of passage information...

I've read from different posts that the section bank were closest to the style of the actual MCAT. Just wanted your take on it.

Archived