Premed 101 Forums

For All Us Waitlisters, Any Idea When First Batch Of Waitlist Invites Goes Out?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Declined my acceptance today, best of luck to everyone on the wait list!

Does how quiet it's been mean that the first wave of wait list acceptances has gone out but hardly anyone here have heard yet? Or does it mean they haven't sent it out?   These are the questions th

Damn being on the waitlist really sucks. I just wish they could tell us our position. I actually had a little thought about why they may not give us our position. It's pretty funny how the male:female

It's tough to say. Most people who've posted thus far who haven't been accepted seem to have posted WL's over rejections. I know rejected applicants are less likely to post (I know that feel), but my feeling is that Queen's still WL's a greater proportion of candidates than other schools and doesn't have as many rejections.

Although I could be totally wrong.

I wish. But with 20-some people on PM101 already reporting being on the WL it seems unlikely.

Not sure but it could be true. I've actually looked at some ratios and percentages based on the poll and out of the given sample size of 48, 16 people were offered admission. That's about a 33% acceptance rate even though only about 20% of interviewees should get offers based on numbers. So either there's some bias which probably extends to the waitlist posts as well, or the school over accepts and the numbers are in line. 

Not sure but it could be true. I've actually looked at some ratios and percentages based on the poll and out of the given sample size of 48, 16 people were offered admission. That's about a 33% acceptance rate even though only about 20% of interviewees should get offers based on numbers. So either there's some bias which probably extends to the waitlist posts as well, or the school over accepts and the numbers are in line. 

Hmm, I suppose.

Good point. The acceptance rates could be fairly representative by the looks of it if they do do some over inviting, but yeah it's likely to be subject to major reporting bias.

Rejection numbers obviously subject to bias, but yeah underreported (places like PM101 forums for UofC and UofA report rejections 5-14% of the time, whereas the likely straight rejection proportion is closer to 50/60%).

For Queens the WL proportion is still something like 60% (when including people that remove themselves from the WL). So it's hard to say, because if it was only 100 people then we're looking for 20%, rather than the 60% we have so far. Although I guess that would get shifted down a fair bit if more people reported rejections!

I feel that there is a huge bias in this ratio. People who are rejected are probably a lot less likely to report it compared to people who are waitlisted.

Looking at the UofT thread, the only people that responded to the accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread were those who were accepted. There were literally 0 waitlists or rejections reported on that. So definitely don't think the reporting on here is at all reliable. By that same token however, Queens seems to have a lot more waitlist reports.

I feel that there is a huge bias in this ratio. People who are rejected are probably a lot less likely to report it compared to people who are waitlisted.

I agree completely. I mean, consider interview invites. Sure, more people post rejections then, but there was say, maybe 5000 rejections and 500 interviews. There was nowhere near a 1:10 ration of invites vs rejections posted. 

If all of the initial offers that are declined are filled up on May 25th, how can there be significant movement on the waitlist in June/July?

There will be people on the waitlist who not only receive an offer from Queen's but also from other schools. These people may choose to decline the offer from Queen's resulting in the seat remaining available. Additionally, there may be others who accepted initially and have just received offers from another OOP schools which happens to be their first choice. These people will open up spots which were initially taken. 

There will be people on the waitlist who not only receive an offer from Queen's but also from other schools. These people may choose to decline the offer from Queen's resulting in the seat remaining available. Additionally, there may be others who accepted initially and have just received offers from another OOP schools which happens to be their first choice. These people will open up spots which were initially taken.

How do multiple waitlists work? Do you have to withdraw from some by a certain date?

How do multiple waitlists work? Do you have to withdraw from some by a certain date?

No you generally don't have to withdraw from waitlists. If you accept an offer from an Ontario school, you will automatically be removed from all Ontario school waitlists. If accepted OOP (assuming you're from Ontario) you still remain on all Ontario waitlists. As for the non-Ontarian schools, I'm not too familiar with their policies and I'm assuming each school could have their own.