Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisted Last Year, Rejected This Year


Recommended Posts

I am posting here because my mind is running a million miles a second. I have a pretty average non-trad app in that it reflects the fact that I thought about medicine, liked research and explored it thoroughly, then came back to medicine. I got sick during my grad studies and a decision was made to revert back to an M.Sc. from a PhD because my school was not willing to accommodate me sufficiently. I never discussed this in my app or explained it because I feared it would be viewed negatively.

 

I have a 3.92 OMSAS (no weighing applies), and 37 MCAT (10 VR). One review article published. Standard ECs and teaching experiences. I work PT in a health promotion capacity.

 

Last cycle, Queen's was my only invite as I took my MCAT pretty late. I got WL. I didn't practice much and we had some family health issues.

 

This cycle, I only got Queen's as well in Ontario even though I prepped for Casper. I worked really hard to polish my interview skills and signed up for professional coaching. I learnt so much and became more relaxed as I interviewed more and more. I was outright rejected this year. I am crushed.

 

I have three acceptances in the states, one with a 20% merit scholarship and the city where my SO lives (so living would be covered). It's still a pretty hefty price tag and I still want to practice in Canada (in IM). I am not sure what to think. Apply again? Take the opportunity?

 

I really thought I did at least better than last year and am so disappointed. I guess I am just looking for insight. Thank you guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's really sad to hear. It sounds like you just want to move on with your life so I would take the US acceptance if it's financially feasible. You would also be able to live with your SO and I think your chances of coming back for IM would be quite strong too. There's also no certainty that you would get accepted next year although your app seems quite competitive so I'm not sure what held you back for other interviews...

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can afford the U.S. school, I would take it. I'm assuming its a USMD school since you mention 20% merit scholarship. And the fact that your SO is also there is a very good thing too.

It seems that you have given it two very legitimate tries at the canadian application cycle, so maybe its time to take the next best opportunity.  You'll have to work harder in the US, because they have board exams and such. 

The alternative is to see if you can get a deffered acceptance and try for Canada once more...but with two interviews at Queens and no luck, i'd be hesitant on that. As well, I would be hesitant, as you may not meet the MCAT cut-off for western even if you retake the MCAT again (retaking a 37 is already a pretty unfavourable situation).

So my 2 cents are take the US acceptance and move on. And start from day 1 preparing to do well and use summers to make connections in Canada for CaRMS. 

You'll be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have much to add to what the posters above have said but I'd like to echo that I'm sorry you're feeling down on this whole thing. It is a sucky process even for people with great stats like yourself.

 

Having been to the interviews, I can say with near certainty that the person who didn't get an offer because I did would be just as good a physician, The process is very subjective and I realize that it could easily have gone the other way.

 

I would take one of the US schools. The money you can probably make up for later but you're not getting the time back if you wait for another cycle. And there'd be no guarantee you'd get into the US schools next time.

 

Another thought, do you think the US schools would give you a deferral? 

 

Yet another thought, is it an option to start in the US but still apply to Canadian schools? If you get in, you may still be able to go to a Canadian school. You'd have to start from scratch but it would still be cheaper overall I'm guessing. 

 

I'm a non-trad as well, PM me if you want to chat more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have much to add to what the posters above have said except to say that I'm sorry you're feeling down on this whole thing.

 

Having been to the interviews, I can say with near certainty that the person who didn't get an offer because I did would be just as good a physician, The process is very subjective and I realize that it could easily have gone the other way.

 

I would take one of the US schools. The money you can probably make up for later but you're not getting the time back if you wait for another cycle. And there'd be no guarantee you'd get into the US schools next time.

 

Another thought, do you think the US schools would give you a deferral? 

 

Yet another thought, start in the US but still apply to Canadian schools. If you get in, you can still go to a Canadian school. You'd have to start from scratch but it would still be cheaper overall I'm guessing.

 

 

I do not believe this is allowed if you attend a USMD school and want to restart at a Canadian MD, as they are all LCME accredited.   Some students who study in australia, ireland, carrib, even USDO  are able to restart in Canada because those schools are not accredited by the same body.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not believe this is allowed if you attend a USMD school and want to restart at a Canadian MD, as they are all LCME accredited.   Some students who study in australia, ireland, carrib, even USDO  are able to restart in Canada because those schools are not accredited by the same body.  

 

 

Thank you for pointing that out, I did not know that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am posting here because my mind is running a million miles a second. I have a pretty average non-trad app in that it reflects the fact that I thought about medicine, liked research and explored it thoroughly, then came back to medicine. I got sick during my grad studies and a decision was made to revert back to an M.Sc. from a PhD because my school was not willing to accommodate me sufficiently. I never discussed this in my app or explained it because I feared it would be viewed negatively.

 

I have a 3.92 OMSAS (no weighing applies), and 37 MCAT (10 VR). One review article published. Standard ECs and teaching experiences. I work PT in a health promotion capacity.

 

Last cycle, Queen's was my only invite as I took my MCAT pretty late. I got WL. I didn't practice much and we had some family health issues.

 

This cycle, I only got Queen's as well in Ontario even though I prepped for Casper. I worked really hard to polish my interview skills and signed up for professional coaching. I learnt so much and became more relaxed as I interviewed more and more. I was outright rejected this year. I am crushed.

 

I have three acceptances in the states, one with a 20% merit scholarship and the city where my SO lives (so living would be covered). It's still a pretty hefty price tag and I still want to practice in Canada (in IM). I am not sure what to think. Apply again? Take the opportunity?

 

I really thought I did at least better than last year and am so disappointed. I guess I am just looking for insight. Thank you guys.

 

Take the US offer no question, especially because your SO lives there. You will definitely be able to practice in Canada in IM in the future if your states offer is a MD school and even if it is DO its still very likely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your help. I am pretty bummed but I feel a bit better. My school is in Boston so it's a great city to practice medicine in and they did send a person back to Mac for FM so hopefully they'll help me with CaRMS. I do feel good about the school and it's well-known. How would I establish connections here apart from away electives? We only get one 8-week summer in M1 and most people use it to get research experience.

I have a WL at U of S but I didn't get a great vibe from the school and the probation issues worry me (anyone know if their students match well?). I was pretty shocked when I learnt they had just switched to a 2+2 curriculum when other schools are already at 1.5+1.5. On the interview day, the director said something along the lines of "we are a stat-heavy school" so am not sure if that translates to a cut-throat atmosphere. I guess it's another story if I get off the WL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your help. I am pretty bummed but I feel a bit better. My school is in Boston so it's a great city to practice medicine in and they did send a person back to Mac for FM so hopefully they'll help me with CaRMS. I do feel good about the school and it's well-known. How would I establish connections here apart from away electives? We only get one 8-week summer in M1 and most people use it to get research experience.

I have a WL at U of S but I didn't get a great vibe from the school and the probation issues worry me (anyone know if their students match well?). I was pretty shocked when I learnt they had just switched to a 2+2 curriculum when other schools are already at 1.5+1.5. On the interview day, the director said something along the lines of "we are a stat-heavy school" so am not sure if that translates to a cut-throat atmosphere. I guess it's another story if I get off the WL.

 

I wouldn't worry about those issues. Start planning your USMD under the assumption you'll do that but if you get U of S later in the summer take it. At the end of the day, it's a Canadian MD, end of story.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Working. He went to the same school for dentistry so I know the city and area pretty well.

Understood, in that case, I would say - as long as you can afford it - go with boston.

 

I don't think from the sounds of it you would be too happy at UofS even if you do get in. It makes a lot more sense to go with boston, since its a USMD and you have your SO there.  Having your SO(assuming this is serious and you would rather not continue being long distance), will help alot - as well as cost savings for rent etc, and having a support network.

 

Maybe its a blessing in disguise. Time will tell!

 

If you focus on CaRMs, you will be fine for IM. Even if not, there are programs nearby the border at US institutions where you can easily do IM. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I thought I will participate in both matches and see which one works out. Am really not picky about location and would go anywhere as long as it is a good education. I cannot tell you anything about Sask apart from the fact that I was uneasy throughout the day. I felt like no one addressed the probation issues, and we really weren't given time to talk to students. time will tell.

 

I had been thinking about deferring but I am in my late 20's and would rather just start. As someone said above, there is no guarantee my application is going to be better next year or will get me any interviews. It just sucks that I had worked so hard to get here and genuinely tried to improve my application but seems that MMIs are just not my cup of tea (although I did get outright accepted after one in the states).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am assuming this is BU. Great medical school. Great clinical experience. Agree with everyone else above, absolutely don't wait and make plans for Boston (fantastic that your SO is there!!).

 

As someone who went through the IM match here in the US last year I had the privilege of seeing the best of what IM training has to offer and am living it every day as a rising PGY 2. If you do well at BU, you will be tempted to stay in the US for IM once you explore your options in both matches.

 

Congratulations on your acceptances. You have a beautiful future ahead of you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Legit freaking out. Accepted to Memorial!!!! Can't think right now. Thanks everyone for the support. GGGSaint thank you for your post, I got chills when I read it this morning.

And think of all the more trips you can take to visit your SO with the tuition $$ you'll save! 

 

I may be biased, but the East Coast is quite possibly the friendliest place in this country. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...