Premed 101 Forums

Generally nobody cares what you did.

Whatever you did, just gotta sell yourself and capture the interviewers attention.

It's all charisma and talk.

That's because after GPA and mcat, we all look the same on paper.

Charisma charisma charisma. (and geographical preference)

If you feel that helping out in India is important to you then you should do it. If you feel like you are doing it just for your med app then I would suggest you just volunteer locally. You'll save money and you'll be able to offer a longer time commitment.

Or will med schools not view it on the same scale as other overseas trip because I am originally from India?

I think you are significantly overestimating how most schools view 'humanitarian trips'. Working for 3 months overseas is one thing, taking a trip to volunteer for a few weeks involves spending huge amounts of money on yourself (travel costs) while contributing little to those in the country. 

If you feel like it'll give you valuable experiences that you can speak about then do it. Going into things asking "what will med schools think?" is a terrible mind set, follow what interests you and I guarantee that will take you much further.

I had another question, do ECs have to be medical related? I'm really interested in joining Enactus but mainly business students are involved.

Your ECs don't have to be medicine related. Just do things you enjoy and can feel passionate about. I'd say my biggest chunk of extracurriculars didn't necessarily fit into a "cookie cutter premed" list but revolved around other passions and things that I'm interested in (ie. Design/Marketing, etc.). 

Your ECs are whatever you want them to be. They don't "have" to be anything. Just be sure you're doing these things for you and not trying to force yourself into this predetermined idea of what premed should be otherwise your premed years aren't going to be very enjoyable.

Archived