Premed 101 Forums

Finishing Phd Before Starting Md?

Question: Am I screwed? Edit: Nope! Answer in post #4

Despite having a nearly complete draft of my thesis, my primary supervisor said I wouldn't defend until mid-september. Why? Vacation + she's got administrative tasks in the university this summer.

I've been accepted to Mac, U of T, Western, and wait-listed at Queen's. U of T and Western have an up-front June 30th deadline. I know its a soft deadline and many of you have gotten around it, but has anyone defended (or heard of someone defending) after starting med? I'm particularly interested in McMaster, it's always been my top pick.

Question: Am I screwed?

Despite having a nearly complete draft of my thesis, my primary supervisor said I wouldn't defend until mid-september. Why? Vacation + she's got administrative tasks in the university this summer.

I've been accepted to Mac, U of T, Western, and wait-listed at Queen's. U of T and Western have an up-front June 30th deadline. I know its a soft deadline and many of you have gotten around it, but has anyone defended (or heard of someone defending) after starting med? I'm particularly interested in McMaster, it's always been my top pick.

I have - in rare cases where it can be explain that the candidate is ready for instance but others involved are unable to complete the task. At multiple schools as well actually.

As an update to those who are curious and others who might be in the same situation later:

Luckily my topic pick, Mac, has said they don't require degree completion.

Western and U of T were less clear. They gave me offers independent of my degree (no PhD bonus), but still had degree completion by June 30th as a condition. Whether thats because they don't want me to be a registered student anywhere else at the same time, or if my acceptance still somehow hinges on having a PhD, I'm not sure. Mac was my top choice, so I'm not motivated to investigate UofT or Western further, but if I get better clarification I'll update the thread.

Archived