Premed 101 Forums

Good Schools To Apply To

Hi everyone,

This is the first cycle that I am planning to apply to American schools and I was wondering if someone could provide me with a list of 5-7 US schools where I have the highest chance of acceptance given my stats below:

cGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 14/8/12

ECs: typical - 2 years of research, TA, tutor, hospital volunteer, volunteer for Heart and Stroke Foundation and a couple of other organizations. ****NO shadowing as it is not allowed in Canada****

I am Canadian (BC resident) and just finished my undergraduate.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it.

Apply broadly to more than just 5-7 schools.

No one is in a position to apply to so little. If its a money thing that you can't afford the extra schools, then you shouldn't apply at all. If its a time thing, that not enough time for secondaries, make the time and sort it out.

Too bad about the 8vr though. Hopefully the overall score is good enough though.

Apply broadly to more than just 5-7 schools.

No one is in a position to apply to so little. If its a money thing that you can't afford the extra schools, then you shouldn't apply at all. If its a time thing, that not enough time for secondaries, make the time and sort it out.

Too bad about the 8vr though. Hopefully the overall score is good enough though.

I second this. Try more like 30. Most US students apply ~20, and you are at a disadvantage as a Canadian.

You will probably also need to write the new MCAT. I don't think that many schools are accepting the old one this application cycle (2016/2017) - you need to check with each school.

Actually the majority of schools in the US still accept the old MCAT for this cycle according to AAMC.

I bought the subscription for MSAR. As I was narrowing down my options, I mainly looked at the "accepted score 10-90th percentile" for the Verbal Reasoning and if the 10th percentile was 10 or higher (I got 8), I crossed it off even though I had a more than good enough overall MCAT score for that school. Is this a good approach or am I crossing off schools unnecessarily?

I bought the subscription for MSAR. As I was narrowing down my options, I mainly looked at the "accepted score 10-90th percentile" for the Verbal Reasoning and if the 10th percentile was 10 or higher (I got 8), I crossed it off even though I had a more than good enough overall MCAT score for that school. Is this a good approach or am I crossing off schools unnecessarily?

Just apply to all the Canadian friendly ones, even if your VR is below their 10th percentile.  They may let it slide since your overall is still a 34 and you have a perfect GPA.

If the school has accepted Canadians, still apply.

Just apply to all the Canadian friendly ones, even if your VR is below their 10th percentile.  They may let it slide since your overall is still a 34 and you have a perfect GPA.

If the school has accepted Canadians, still apply.

Hmm when I searched for Canadian friendly schools in the US, MSAR gave me a list of 70 schools which is way too many, so I just wanna separate SUPER Cdn friendly ones from less Cdn friendly ones but I do not really know/have the stats required to do that.

Also, did you apply to UBC?

Your non-academics seem very scant, are you not listing things or do you just not have any work experience or other involvements?  

It may sink you for US schools too. 

I have applied to UBC this past year but got rejected post-interview.

No I have more non-academics (a few national/international conferences - poster and oral presentations; lotsa scholarships, club exec, etc), but it is still not quite stellar. I'd say its average (according to UBC at least)

Hmm when I searched for Canadian friendly schools in the US, MSAR gave me a list of 70 schools which is way too many, so I just wanna separate SUPER Cdn friendly ones from less Cdn friendly ones but I do not really know/have the stats required to do that.

I have applied to UBC this past year but got rejected post-interview.

No I have more non-academics (a few national/international conferences - poster and oral presentations; lotsa scholarships, club exec, etc), but it is still not quite stellar. I'd say its average (according to UBC at least)

Compile your list based on the forum. Plenty of posts on here about where people applied, and accepted etc.

Okay thats good, then definitely do not filter any schools out because of the 8.  Just apply broadly, the final list should be about 30 schools max.  There really aren't too many schools past 30 that are truly canadian friendly for USMD.

There are about 10 USDOs that are Canadian friendly, and really solid schools as well if that is something you want to consider.

Make sure to re-apply to UBC too, you will probably get an interview again next year and hopefully get in...making the US backup an insurance cost.

Heres 10 to get you started

Wayne state

Oakland

Georgetown

Suny upstate

Rosaland Franklin

Michigan state

Gwu

SLU

Kentucky

Penn State

Thanks deathvvv. I'll do more research on these schools and other schools.

Compile your list based on the forum. Plenty of posts on here about where people applied, and accepted etc.

Okay thats good, then definitely do not filter any schools out because of the 8.  Just apply broadly, the final list should be about 30 schools max.  There really aren't too many schools past 30 that are truly canadian friendly for USMD.

There are about 10 USDOs that are Canadian friendly, and really solid schools as well if that is something you want to consider.

Make sure to re-apply to UBC too, you will probably get an interview again next year and hopefully get in...making the US backup an insurance cost.

Yup, that's exactly my plan. I would consider USDO, but I have heard that CaRMS no longer considers DO graduates as CMG (i.e. they are now considered IMG), which greatly limits their chances. Is this correct?

Thanks deathvvv. I'll do more research on these schools and other schools.

Yup, that's exactly my plan. I would consider USDO, but I have heard that CaRMS no longer considers DO graduates as CMG (i.e. they are now considered IMG), which greatly limits their chances. Is this correct?

That is somewhat correct, they are still CMG in BC and will remain so. But yes, they are now(as of the 2016 CaRMS cycle) in IMG stream for the rest of the provinces.  Definitely go for MD if you can. Given your strong stats, i'd just keep re-apply to UBC until you get in hopefully, but good idea to apply USMD also. But if after 2 more cycles...then I would strongly add in DO too just so you can move on etc. 

Even with that said, if you end up not getting into UBC again next year and no luck with USMD either, I would just backup with USDO...since you can always do the first year at USDO and jump ship if you were to get into UBC on the 3rd try. You can NOT do the same if you were to attend USMD, as they are LCME accredited like Canadian MD and they don't allow that.

Okay, I have come up with a rough list of schools (34 schools). I would like to narrow it down to around 15, and I'd appreciate any feedback/comments on it:

1. Albert Einstein
  2. Baylor
  3. CWRU
  4. Rosalind Franklin
  5. Dartmouth
  6. George Washington
  7. Georgetown
  8. Loma Linda
  9. Lousiana
  10. Augusta
  11. Mayo
  12. Wisconsin
  13. Michigan State
  14. NYMC
  15. Oakland
  16. Pennsylvania
  17. Rush Medical Colelge
  18. Saint Louis
  19. NY Upstate
  20. Stony Brook
  21. Commonwealth
  22. Tulane
  23. USF Health Morsani
  24. UCSF (San Francisco)
  25. Central Florida
  26. Pritzker
  27. Louisville
  28. North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
  29. Utah
  30. Virginia
  31. Virginia Commonwealth
  32. Washington (St. Louis)
  33. Wayne State
  34. Yale

Thanks!!

Get rid of 1,2,8,9,10,24, 25,29, 

Could you please elaborate on why I should get rid of these schools? I just realized Loma Linda is christian heavy so I'll remove it (was that your reason too?) But for instance why should I remove Albert Einstein? I heard they are quite canadian friendly.

Wayne State had 0% Canadians interviewed according to MSAR

You're misreading MSAR. MSAR says 22 internationals matriculated, yet they say they do not accept Internationals. They do say, however, that they accept Canadian students. This likely means that those 22 students are Canadians. I know several Canadians at Wayne State. Wayne State is traditionally viewed as one of the most friendly US schools to Canadians.

Could you please elaborate on why I should get rid of these schools? I just realized Loma Linda is christian heavy so I'll remove it (was that your reason too?) But for instance why should I remove Albert Einstein? I heard they are quite canadian friendly.

I know a Canadian at Einstein. (Not accepted last cycle though) Has Einstein started accepting less Canadians than usual? I know of several Canadian Physicians and/or residents who attended Einstein. If someone knows if this has changed, it would be good to know.

For Loma Linda: 

it is a firm policy of the Admissions Committee to admit each year a number of non-church related applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to Christian principles and are best suited for meeting the educational goals of the School. No candidate is accepted on the basis of religious affiliation alone.

If you know how to do this or are Christian, go for it. Otherwise, doesn't look like there's a good chance.

You're misreading MSAR. MSAR says 22 internationals matriculated, yet they say they do not accept Internationals. They do say, however, that they accept Canadian students. This likely means that those 22 students are Canadians. I know several Canadians at Wayne State. Wayne State is traditionally viewed as one of the most friendly US schools to Canadians.

This. Wayne is super Canadian friendly

As for einstein, fair enough keep it in, just not as friendly as others.

Archived