Premed 101 Forums

Good Schools To Apply To

Okay, I have come up with a rough list of schools (34 schools). I would like to narrow it down to around 15, and I'd appreciate any feedback/comments on it:

1. Albert Einstein
  2. Baylor
  3. CWRU
  4. Rosalind Franklin
  5. Dartmouth
  6. George Washington
  7. Georgetown
  8. Loma Linda
  9. Lousiana
  10. Augusta
  11. Mayo
  12. Wisconsin
  13. Michigan State
  14. NYMC
  15. Oakland
  16. Pennsylvania
  17. Rush Medical Colelge
  18. Saint Louis
  19. NY Upstate
  20. Stony Brook
  21. Commonwealth
  22. Tulane
  23. USF Health Morsani
  24. UCSF (San Francisco)
  25. Central Florida
  26. Pritzker
  27. Louisville
  28. North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
  29. Utah
  30. Virginia
  31. Virginia Commonwealth
  32. Washington (St. Louis)
  33. Wayne State
  34. Yale

Thanks!!

I would probably drop George Washington since they have ridiculously high number of applicants, and probably also Loma Linda (they have a very religious based code of conduct, in case you aren't aware), and Saint Louis (requires escrow). Also drop all Florida schools - they do not consider internationals. 

Wayne State had 0% Canadians interviewed according to MSAR

As I know, Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan interviewed hundreds Canadian every year, accepted more than or near 100 Canadian every year, around 40 Canadian studied MD there every year. It's like 7th medical school for Ontarian. They accepted only Canadian citizen, not Canadian resident.

Thanks guys. I've dropped NYMC and Saint Louis since they require escrow. I read on Kentucky's website that "International students are welcome to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. At least one full year of undergraduate or graduate study in a regionally accredited U.S. school is required for application to medical school." Does that mean we, as canadian citizens can no longer apply there?

Thanks MD2B2019. Does anybody else have any comments about Kentucky, Utah or Maryland? I am really struggling with narrowing down my list of schools, which is perhaps due to my lack of knowledge about the schools. Appreciate any comments.  :)

As I know, Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan interviewed hundreds Canadian every year, accepted more than or near 100 Canadian every year, around 40 Canadian studied MD there every year. It's like 7th medical school for Ontarian. They accepted only Canadian citizen, not Canadian resident.

Agreed, Wayne state is probably (arguably) the most Canadian friendly school in the US. I was accepted there this cycle. When I interviewed, they were very friendly to the fact that I'm Canadian (ie. it didn't work against me) and there were at least 5 other Canadians interviewing too. I also have heard they accept ~40 Canadians each year, if not more. 

Okay, I have come up with a rough list of schools (34 schools). I would like to narrow it down to around 15, and I'd appreciate any feedback/comments on it:

1. Albert Einstein
  2. Baylor
  3. CWRU
  4. Rosalind Franklin
  5. Dartmouth
  6. George Washington
  7. Georgetown
  8. Loma Linda
  9. Lousiana
  10. Augusta
  11. Mayo
  12. Wisconsin
  13. Michigan State
  14. NYMC
  15. Oakland
  16. Pennsylvania
  17. Rush Medical Colelge
  18. Saint Louis
  19. NY Upstate
  20. Stony Brook
  21. Commonwealth
  22. Tulane
  23. USF Health Morsani
  24. UCSF (San Francisco)
  25. Central Florida
  26. Pritzker
  27. Louisville
  28. North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
  29. Utah
  30. Virginia
  31. Virginia Commonwealth
  32. Washington (St. Louis)
  33. Wayne State
  34. Yale

Thanks!!

I would take out 6/7 b/c they get lots of applications each year... not sure if it'd be worth applying. Not sure if 13 (Michigan state) is actually Canadian friendly? I would also take out all california schools because they haven't taken any Canadians recently (according to what I've read on SDN).

I have a friends who have gotten into VCU (31) so that's a good one too. 

Biggest piece of advice for US schools is to apply early! Submit both primary and secondaries ASAP to maximize your chances. Aim to be complete by end of July to finish everything before Canadian apps even start.

Archived