Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad - Guelph Vs Mac

Hello, I am a high school student looking to get into a good pre-med program - one that will put me in the environment to exert myself and produce a high gpa. In other words, which program is better for med school hopefuls?

I didn't so too well first semester, having no motivation to study at all and ended up getting very low 80s. I started actually studying in the second semester and all of my courses are in the mid to high 90s. However due to my first semester marks I couldn't really get into programs like Mac health science or Western med sci. Instead, I got into *Mac life sci* and *Guelph biological sci*. I can't seem to make a decision at all, I heard it is much easier to achieve a higher gpa in Guelph tho, is that true? And "prestige" doesn't matter, right?

Prestige is less than useless.

Speaking from experience, excellent time & stress management skills together with good study skills, knowing your priorities, avoiding distractions, being motivated always, thereby keeping your eye on the goal and a strong work ethic treating your academics professionally is absolutely required (combined with ECs/volunteering demonstrating altruism and CanMEDS competencies).

Taking a program you are passionate about will result in higher grades. You want to live with no regrets.   

Hello, I am a high school student looking to get into a good pre-med program - one that will put me in the environment to exert myself and produce a high gpa. In other words, which program is better for med school hopefuls?

I didn't so too well first semester, having no motivation to study at all and ended up getting very low 80s. I started actually studying in the second semester and all of my courses are in the mid to high 90s. However due to my first semester marks I couldn't really get into programs like Mac health science or Western med sci. Instead, I got into *Mac life sci* and *Guelph biological sci*. I can't seem to make a decision at all, I heard it is much easier to achieve a higher gpa in Guelph tho, is that true? And "prestige" doesn't matter, right?

I go to Guelph and can tell you that it's not any easier to achieve a high GPA here. Our class averages, at least in typical "premed" classes, tend to be the same or lower as other schools (based on what I've heard from my friends at other universities). That said, a healthy work ethic and good study habits will set you up for success no matter where you go. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about Guelph bio sci/biomed or Guelph in general!

I would recommend going to Guelph, Mac Life Sci is a pretty difficult program from which to get into med school. I don't think either is easier, but I have heard great things about anatomy at Guelph. Unfortunately, only Mac Health Scis get access to a solid anatomy course at Mac. Anatomy is useful once you get into medical school.

Yup, you should definitely make your choice based on compatibility because the program that is more suitable for you is where you will thrive! Note that things like city/location, scholarships/money, friends, etc. should also be considered. 

Also, feel free to ask any questions about Guelph :) My favourite thing is the community; people hold doors for you from 50m away, campus organizations/police hand out study snacks/timbits during finals, there are guide dog puppies everywhere, and there are so many support systems and resources available to you. It's a great atmosphere.

I would recommend going to Guelph, Mac Life Sci is a pretty difficult program from which to get into med school. I don't think either is easier, but I have heard great things about anatomy at Guelph. Unfortunately, only Mac Health Scis get access to a solid anatomy course at Mac. Anatomy is useful once you get into medical school.

There's a full year anatomy course available to life science students at Mac in their second year! 

There's a full year anatomy course available to life science students at Mac in their second year! 

This may be true, but Guelph students actually get to dissect cadavers for an entire year from top bottom. Not just see specimens. I think the only one in Canada and most of the US as well if I'm not mistaken at the undergraduate (non-medical) level.

This may be true, but Guelph students actually get to dissect cadavers for an entire year from top bottom. Not just see specimens. I think the only one in Canada and most of the US as well if I'm not mistaken at the undergraduate (non-medical) level.

UofA offers this as well.

Archived