Premed 101 Forums

How To Best Spend The Summer Before Starting Medical School

Do whatever you want but seriously, school has enough stuff to fill your time that you absolutely do not have to do ANYTHING beforehand unless it's something you find incredibly rewarding and/or financially is required. I did absolutely nothing but do a bit of travelling and relaxing before starting school and have 0 regrets! You want to start the school year rested.

Is it really okay to travel the entire summer and not do any work or research?

YES.

For those of you already in medical school, what are some things that you wish you had done in the summer before starting year 1?

Travel the entire summer and not do any work or research.

For those of you who did travelling... Where did you go? 

I want to travel but I'm really worried about finances as I'm paying for school on my own, with not much in savings.

I don't know if you've tried this, but I'd participate in some of those psych experiments on campus that compensate you for your time. It's a neat way to earn some spare cash, and usually in the summer they have a harder time recruiting people due to people been away so you can find quite a few that still accept people. Win-win as you get money and have something to do and they get their data in.

For those of you who did travelling... Where did you go? 

I want to travel but I'm really worried about finances as I'm paying for school on my own, with not much in savings.you'r

Looks like you're third year right?

Just look at is as a small portion of all the debt you won't have from an extra years' tuition now! Having a break before the next few years will be worth it.

Plus, camping is cheap and always fun. Travel doesn't need to be another country 

Archived