Premed 101 Forums

Class Schedule At Western

What is a typical day like for D1 at Western?

Typically 9-5, depending on the day/week. Sometimes you have half days, and some other days you spend extra hours in the simulation clinic, which is open until 10 pm on certain nights. You can actually find the public schedule here: https://one45.schulich.uwo.ca/webeval/cal/dentistry.php

Keep in mind that the extra hours in the simulation clinic are optional and will not show up on this calendar.

D1 is a very heavy academic year. Most of your time will be spent in lectures and labs. However, you also get to do some hands-on stuff like wax-ups (adding wax to a peg and carving/shaping it into a tooth) and the typical drill and fill in the simulation clinic on mannequins. You also get to shadow/assist the D3 and D4 students in the main clinic on patients once a week. With the exception of the wax-ups, most of your hands-on stuff will take place in second term. First term is all about the academics. You also write a ton of exams, which are mostly multiple choice in first year. 

It seems like there are 12 exams within 2 weeks for first semester... That is crazy. How difficult are these exams compared to similar undergraduate courses (i.e. microbiology, anatomy, biology, etc.)? 

Any tips for incoming D1s at Western? Thanks!

It seems like there are 12 exams within 2 weeks for first semester... That is crazy. How difficult are these exams compared to similar undergraduate courses (i.e. microbiology, anatomy, biology, etc.)? 

Any tips for incoming D1s at Western? Thanks!

Depends on your background. Some people who came from Kinesiology or Health Sci backgrounds may find it a bit easier just cause they have been exposed to those courses before (anatomy, physiology, etc).

But yeah that December exam schedule is no walk in the park to say the least...

My only advice is take anatomy and pharm if you can in a year that doesnt count for gpa (unless youre good at these, if so go for it). Pharm was the hardest exam of my life relative to how easy some people with pharm background thought it was.

Oh and drop your standards for general medicine, you'll see why. Rest of the exams are all just memo and are not too bad really.

Archived