Premed 101 Forums

Strengthening French Skills

RedLily

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any French language courses, programs, techniques, etc. that can help anglos strengthen their French.

I know that McGill med/dent has those Saturday French courses, but beyond (and before) that, what do people find the most effective (and fastest) way to get their French up to and above par? 

not sure what your level of French is but if null: there are intensive summer classes available. If it is passable, there are some of French TV series/movies on Netflix that can help increase your vocabulary. Also read lapresse.ca or other french news websites and grabbing the free papers they hand out in the metro can help out!

Assuming you need to start at the beginning, this summer is the perfect time to break the back of it, especially if you already have an apartment that otherwise would remain empty during the summer. And then, you could take night courses, less intensive on time. 

Anglos with poor French have gotten into Sherbrooke medical school and they have been required to take a French course during first year medical school. Your approach using this summer strategically would be studying French less intensively than the Sherbrooke students but the cumulative benefit would be tremendous by the time you reach residency! And you coud use part of the next summers for relaxation and for French if you are so motivated.

Anglos with poor French have gotten into Sherbrooke medical school and they have been required to take a French course during first year medical school. Your approach using this summer strategically would be studying French less intensively than the Sherbrooke students but the cumulative benefit would be tremendous by the time you reach residency! And you coud use part of the next summers for relaxation and for French if you are so motivated.

The more rigorous linguistic screening policies at Laval and Montreal are likely precautionary: anglos have had problems at Sherbrooke.  A French course (or two) is probably the easiest part of adjustment to learning content in an unfamiliar language + learning the language.  

• 6 months later...

Also I highly suggest you look into the Explore program. Its a 5 week french immersion program that is basically free for students (just pay registration fee and travel costs). You can be uni student, med student, whatever. I did explore and had 2 medical students in my class (one from McGill)

"The Explore program provides a bursary worth $2,200 that covers the major expenses for participating in the program. The bursary pays for tuition, food, accommodation, and most of your activities."

http://www.myexplore.ca/en/
Seriously check that out!

Archived