Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Medical School Open House

So, who's headed to McMaster s open house this June 14th? Does anyone know if I will be able to talk to any medical students there about their personal experiences? Thank you.

I will likely go. The website says that all info at the sessions is also found online but it might be a good opportunity to ask questions. I would do some research and make a short list of questions before going. Hopefully, we can also speak to some current med students as well (I'm pretty sure we can).

BlueSpirit, youre a current student at Mac, would you please be able to answer a whole lot of questions for me please?

1). What is the policy at McMaster regarding failed medical school courses. Do you simply repeat the course or are you forced to stay back a year?

2). Though I know there is no right answer for this, but would you recommend me taking the following courses in my undergraduate degree as so I have an easier time at Medical School (Human Physiology, Medical Microbiology, Biochemistry, Nutrition, Genetics, Immunology). Thanks

3). How do the evaluations work at Mac? like, do you have one test at the end of each MF and it's worth a 100% of the grade in which you have to get at least a 70%?

4). Also, just curious, how much is the parking at McMaster for med students?

1) I'm not sure if I can answer this... If you fail to meet the satisfactory requirement in an MF, they would probably ask you to see a committee to tackle why you're not meeting expectations and monitor your progress. They probably wouldn't hold you back unless you've repeatedly failed to meet expectations in several MFs.

2) Taking those courses would help - but don't force yourself to take a course you don't want to just so you can have an easier time at medical school. Everyone here wants to learn and the curriculum does a good job of bringing everyone to the same place. I would highly recommend an anatomy course though.

3) We have several concept application exercises (especially tests) through out the MF. There are no grades - everything is marked on a 5 point scale, with the middle of the scale being "Meets expectations". The CAEs are only one part of your overall MF evaluation.

4) I pay $50 a month for parking on a campus lot that's 10 minutes from MDCL, but there is a shuttle that runs every 10 minutes. In clerkship, you can buy a parking pass for all the hospitals for $100 a month.

Just realized June 14th is the day of our OSCE. Likely there will be no current students at the open house...

What is OSCE? Please explain, also, I called McMaster medschool a few days a go and the receptionist told me that there will be some students there to answer our questions. Thank you for your help.

Does anyone know where the best/cheapest place to park might be? Or is there free parking anywhere 1280 Main St. W.? I wouldn't mind walking a bit if it means free/cheap parking.

Thanks.

If you don't mind walking, the easiest thing would be to park at Fortinos on Main St W. It's the local grocery store.

It's an evening event, right? There's free street parking with no evening time limits on the side streets just east of the campus (it's a 1h max during the day), you'll likely find a spot there and it's the shortest walk to MDCL (eg King and the side streets off of it). I think the Mac lot just north of MDCL is fairly inexpensive during the evenings, you'll have to check the parking site to see the exact price though. 

MD ADMISSIONS INFORMATION SESSIONS 2016

HAMILTON CAMPUS 
Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine Tuesday, June 14, 2016 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. McMaster University 1280 Main Street West, MDCL Room 1102 Hamilton Ontario

NIAGARA REGIONAL CAMPUS 
Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine Monday, June 20, 2016 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. 1812 Sir Isaac Brock Way, St. Catharines Ontario Brock University, Cairns Complex Room 219

WATERLOO REGIONAL CAMPUS 
Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. 10 
Victoria Street, Room 2018 Kitchener Ontario

NO REGISTRION- OPEN EVENT

This is from facebook. The info was also on Mac's website but the site changed recently and now the info is gone.

If you don't mind walking, the easiest thing would be to park at Fortinos on Main St W. It's the local grocery store.

Awesome. In all of the Collegrs/Universities that I ve been to, there is always free parking avaliable to this who are willing to walk lol. Okay, asides from this Fortinos, is there anywhere else that one can park for free? It's an 18 minute walk from the Fortinos to the medschool ya know.

Awesome. In all of the Collegrs/Universities that I ve been to, there is always free parking avaliable to this who are willing to walk lol. Okay, asides from this Fortinos, is there anywhere else that one can park for free? It's an 18 minute walk from the Fortinos to the medschool ya know.

Like osteogeek said, street parking all around campus is free after 6. Otherwise Fortino's..it really only a 10-15 min walk. Plus it's summer, stretch your legs!.

The Open house was EMPTY. Like less than 10 people...but informative none the less. And I got to meet Wendy, the person sending Yall acceptance emails :P

I was there too! It was a little intimidating in the beginning when she was going over the admissions process. I wish we got a tour of the facility.

If you guys are in the area, I wouldn't be surprised if there's 2018s willing to give informal tours. Ask on the Facebook group. I'd offer, but frankly right now I'm awkward, slow, and don't handle stairs too well (this pregnancy is not being terribly kind to me!) There are plenty of people who know the campus better too. :)

If you guys are in the area, I wouldn't be surprised if there's 2018s willing to give informal tours. Ask on the Facebook group. I'd offer, but frankly right now I'm awkward, slow, and don't handle stairs too well (this pregnancy is not being terribly kind to me!) There are plenty of people who know the campus better too. :)

I appreciate the thought but I'm back in Toronto. Hopefully one day.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived