Premed 101 Forums

Personal Activities Section Experiences

Hey everyone!

Would anyone who has previously applied (accepted or not) be willing to talk about their ECs from each of the five categories and their resultant EC score? I am just interested in other people's experiences with the personal activities section and their results so I can better understand this process when I apply in the future. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I was accepted this year, so I don't have any feedback on my scores, but I feel they must have been okay as my GPA and MCAT were just average.  I suggest just put on there what makes you who you are.  I put service for my church, being a youth leader, as well as picking up hitchhikers on my application.  Under employment I didn't have anything fantastical....I install hitches on vehicles, was a custodian, a construction worker, and rock truck driver.  My only award that would be different from the regular Alberta academic awards (Jason Lang, etc), is a scouting award.  Just do what you like, and do it for a while.

Like nolongeryourcompetition ^ I don't have any EC scores but I had an average gpa and mcat. I had one summer employment. I had two leadership roles (sports team and a volunteering activity (brief)). I had 4 awards, 1 athletic scholarship, 3 academic awards. I had 4 volunteer activities, a soup kitchen my team volunteered at, two with people with disabilities, and one with the united way (one summers worth). Most of my volunteer activities don't have high hours associated with them. My other section is a big mix, varsity athletics, travel, a engg project. So I guess I'm an example that you don't need to fill all your EC spots to do well. I probably only used 2/3 of the space.

If you have multiple entries to pick from in a section, is it better to include the ones with more hours or to include more variety of activities? ie for employment, I have worked at a health care job at different locations with quite a bit of hours; I have also worked as a cashier, at a library and at fast food restaurants with relatively fewer hours. Is it better to include the different types of jobs or include the one type of job at different locations with a lot of hours?

I Guess I'm saying that the qualities you are showcasing are more important than the hours. Maybe use the most recent two of the long term position and mix in two other jobs you had that maybe required different skills. I imagine working in customer service or as a cashier sometimes you get difficult customers and that could show your patience. Or maybe your flexibility because you were required to work all sorts of shifts and at various times of day. I don't really know but I think showing the different skills you have acquired could be really beneficial.

My ECs are: CCASA crisis phone line volunteering, emergency room volunteering, shadowing an Ob/Gyn and surgeon, I was on a committee at HIV community link, I volunteered at the women's resource centre at U of C, I was a community advisor on residence - planning events and rounds of buildings and such, summer research studentship, science mentor, 12 years of music playing in many ensembles, organized volunteer trips to the DI in Calgary, and a volunteer trip to East Hastings.

Work: Starbucks for two years, supervisor at a landscaping company for three years, residence advisor.

I don't know what I put in each category, but I think I incorporated all of these

the problem is i worked at different places so i would have to enter the hours separately with different verifiers. are you saying just pick one of them?

It's just about balance. Look carefully at your application, and fiddle with the entries you include until it gives you a well-rounded, complete snapshot of who you are as a person. Just make sure that if you gave someone only that paper, they would get a sense of your main accomplishments, interests, values, and what's most important to you. Think big picture.  There is no 'right' thing to do, it will be different for everyone

Archived