Premed 101 Forums

Best Out Of Province Schools For Ontario Residents?

Like some of you on here, I have been cursed with the Ontario disadvantage. Basically by being born/raised in Ontario, one has one of the worst odds for getting into a medical school since all provinces but Ontario hold seats for residents of their provinces.

So this means I'll be looking to applying to a few out of province schools; however, applications are pricey so I would like to apply only to those OOP schools that have decent odds.

What I'm asking is: What non-Ontario medical schools do you all think will give one the best (and worst) odds of being accepted as an OOP applicant?

Thanks for the quick reply! (first time I've ever posted on here ahah)

This is true, but the spots in Western and NOSM are not for Ontario in general which is unfortuneate :(

In terms of Stats for me

cGPA: >3.90

Recent 2 years: 3.98

MCAT: 128/ 127/ 128/ 130 total 513 

ECs: 1 year in a hospital/health centre, 1 summer of research including a publication, lots of social justice stuff (Like LGBT stuff), lots of volunteer tutoring, 2 years as peer mentor, leadership role in a campus public health/education group (10 hours a week for 2 years)  

In my experience and in that of close friends Ontario isn't nearly as hard as it's made out to be.

To answer your question, U of C and U of A are both very OOP friendly as long as you meet the GPA and MCAT cutoffs. Their grade conversion scales consider both A/A+ = 4.0 so your calculated GPA at those schools should be higher than OMSAS. (Calgary this cycle needed a 127 CARS for OOP and Alberta a 128 CARS OOP...U of C has been mentioning that they are likely to increase this cutoff for OOP applicants so I don't think you could apply to these schools as of now).

Can't speak to the competitiveness of UBC but as long as you have a decent GPA/MCAT and can write a solid app, then it's worth a shot. (MCAT cutoff of 124 across)

Sask/Manitoba require strong MCATs.

McGill is probably rather competitive, worth a shot if you have the prerequisite courses and money to burn.

Dalhousie is possible if you have a maritime connection and whatever their GPA/MCAT cutoffs are.

Right now based off your stats, you are looking at applying to: Toronto, Ottawa, Queen's, Mac, UBC most likely.

Ontario schools aren't that bad, in my experience. If you're aiming to be competitive for med at any school, then you'll likely be making yourself competitive enough for ON schools. Most OOP ones are going to be more so, but it 100% depends on your strengths/weaknesses as an applicant. 

Your GPA is great, and that's the #1 hurdle/difference between some ON schools and some OOP schools. I wouldn't worry just yet

Only Mac gives preference to Ontario residents. The others have regional quotas, the regions just happen to exist inside of Ontario. It isn't an Ontario advantage per se. I think UBC is super hard to get into as an OOP. If you can crack the MCAT barrier, then Sask or Manitoba become pretty easy.

I think your best chances are at Ontario schools(UofT, Queens, Mac, etc). OOP schools are pretty hard.

This.

You have to realize that if the OOP school seems forgiving (A/A+ = 4.0 in Alberta for example), it is forgiving to all OOP applicants. So it does not put you at an advantage against the other OOP applicants. Furthermore, most OOP schools accept a very low number of OOP applicants. So it really doesn't matter where you apply unless your specific stats cater to that school. If your MCAT is very high, apply to Sask/Manitoba. If your EC's are great, apply to UBC, UofC, and UofA. note that all these schools accept less than 20 OOP applicants, so be prepared.

Hi friend!

Mac, NOSM, Ottawa, and Western give preference to Ontario residents.

As for OOP... I think we'll need some stats and extracurriculars. Each school looks for something different!

Last time I checked, Ottawa and Western only give preferences to those who live in their perspective cities... however rules change time to time so I could be wrong.

OP Apply to Mcgill, UBC, UofC and UofA if you meet any of their cutoffs.

More people get accepted than there are spots because a lot of people who get in OOP decline their offers for IP schools. Good example is Manitoba that interviewed like 25 people for 21 offers with 5-10 spots. Some schools actually end up running through entire OOP wait lists so your post interview odds can actually be amazing. That being said, the stats you need to get in OOP will probably get you into Ontario schools.

The disadvantage to Ontario residents should not be downplayed. Only McMaster gives preference to Ontario residents and that is only pre interview. Yes every school in Canada caters to different strengths however an Ontario resident that is competitive in Ontario will often be competitive in other provinces although the same cannot always be said for the reverse. 

I definitely realize IP is my best bet, but hey every additional small chance counts I guess ahah

And it looks like to me (in terms of OOP schools) that UofC and especially UBC are my best bet. I would apply to McGill, but I feel like I would need to bulk up my application/stats for them before I do.

If only applications didn't run my bank dry... 

I definitely realize IP is my best bet, but hey every additional small chance counts I guess ahah

And it looks like to me (in terms of OOP schools) that UofC and especially UBC are my best bet. I would apply to McGill, but I feel like I would need to bulk up my application/stats for them before I do.

If only applications didn't run my bank dry... 

Just be honest about were you're competitive. Some people will do better in ON (such as myself) , and others will have better luck OOP. It depends a lot on what your strengths are as an applicant, i.e. a 38 MCAT with a 10VR and few ECs might get no interviews in ON, but get accepted into Sask and Manitoba. Look carefully at past stats, usually on sites, and see where you best chances are if money is tight. 

Also, get another job if needed to finance the applications in one cycle. It's tough, but better than reapplying another year (even more $$) because you didn't apply to a few more schools

Archived