Premed 101 Forums

Presto Card For Transportation?

This question is directed to Toronto/Ottawa/Hamilton students - I've seen lots of people using Presto cards instead of paying with cash or tokens, why did you get one? 

I've read the presto website but I don't really know what the benefit is - it's the same price as buying a pack of tokens, but also has the 6$ fee for getting the card itself. 

Are there any benefits other than not having to carry tokens around?

will it is automatically filled so I don't have to ever worry about having tokens or change. There are tax benefits if you are getting a monthly pass each month. It acts as your transfer so I don't have to worry about hanging on to some slip of paper.

I take transit infrequently, but I'm considering getting one because I'd like to do it more but I rarely carry cash and so when I do feel like taking the bus, it requires far more advance planning than I'd like. I can pay for parking by swiping my credit card, which gets expensive, so if I can do the same for transit, I'm much more likely to do it. I also plan to do at least one elective in Ottawa, if not more, (trying to confine my electives to places where I have friends I can stay with, hah) and it'll be convenient to be able to just use the same card for another city. 

You can register your presto - if you lose it, you can transfer your balance to a new card. It's also super easy in Hamilton to just tap on and off buses when you have to transfer - the Presto card keeps track of how long your trip was since you have 2 hours of unlimited travel in every direction with each bus ride (something Toronto should really adopt.)

Additionally, you do get discounts on Go transit, and Hamilton transit if you have a Presto, just not the TTC.

will it is automatically filled so I don't have to ever worry about having tokens or change. There are tax benefits if you are getting a monthly pass each month. It acts as your transfer so I don't have to worry about hanging on to some slip of paper.

Care to expand on the tax benefits comment?  :)

I am planning to get a monthly pass, I figured using it to commute 2x a day plus some weekends it will be worth it (I'll have to keep track to make sure). So I can buy a monthly pass plus a presto card to just scan through unlimited times per month? Do all stations have presto? Do they check ID for the student pass (it says up to 19 years... I can pass for 19 and have a student card with no expiration - or do you need a high school student card?)

Sorry for the stupid questions, moving to Toronto after having a car my whole life  :P

Care to expand on the tax benefits comment?  :)

I am planning to get a monthly pass, I figured using it to commute 2x a day plus some weekends it will be worth it (I'll have to keep track to make sure). So I can buy a monthly pass plus a presto card to just scan through unlimited times per month? Do all stations have presto? Do they check ID for the student pass (it says up to 19 years... I can pass for 19 and have a student card with no expiration - or do you need a high school student card?)

Sorry for the stupid questions, moving to Toronto after having a car my whole life  :P

you can claim an income tax credit equal to how much you spend (need to prove the expense so a metropass or presto are the only way to do this. Not all stations currently have presto but will by the end of the year.

Theres a 12 month plan that is cheaper than student. I believe we get a UofT ID that we can use as post secondary ID. They will certainly notice a resident trying to look like a high school student.

Well I could pass as a high school student unfortunately (I get mistaken for one all the time), but I don't have a student card of course if that is what they want for the student discount haha :P

I will look into the 12 month pass, I don't want to commit until I know it's worth it.

Thanks!

Archived