Premed 101 Forums

Final School List - Please Help To Narrow Down

Hi all,

I have made a final list of 21 schools that I am interested in applying, but due to time and money restrictions, I can only apply to 15-17 of them at most. I was wondering if you could please help me narrow this list and get rid of 4-6 schools.

As a reminder, here is my stats:

cGPA: 3.97

sGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 14/8/12 (Total: 34)

ECs: typical - 2 years of research, TA, tutor, 2-3 year hospital volunteer, volunteer for Heart and Stroke Foundation and a couple of other organizations, club execs for a couple of years ****NO shadowing as it is not allowed in Canada****

Here is my list:

1. Albert Einstein
  2. Boston
  3. CWRU
  4. Rosalind Franklin
  5. Columbia
  6. Dartmouth
  7. George Washington
  8. Georgetown
  9. Mayo
  10. Oakland
  11. Sidney Kimmel
  12. NY Upstate
  13. Stony Brook
  14. Tulane
  15. Maryland
  16. Utah
  17. Virginia
  18. Virginia Commonwealth
  19. Cornell
  20. West Virginia
  21. Yale

Thank you all so much!!

I don't know if this is helpful but last year I applied to:

1) U Pittsburgh

2) Pritzker

3) Mayo

4) Weill

5) U Wisconsin

6) Feinberg

7) Columbia

8) Rochester

9) Case Western

10) NYU

11) Indiana

12) Icahn

13) Warren Alpert

14) Einstein

15) MCW

16) Tufts

17) Hofstra

18) Stony Brook

19) OUWB

20) Rush

21) Wayne State

22) Albany

23) Rosalind Franklin

and got rejected pre-interview from all of them :/

cGPA 3.63

sGPA: 3.53

Although my GPA had heavy upward trends (3.13, 3.2, 3.88, 3.97, 4.0 - Did 5 years UG)

MCAT: (2011 11/06/10, 2013 14/08/12, 2014 11/10/12)

ECs: 5 years of research (MSc complete), 5 pubs, 7 abstracts, 1yr hospital volunteer, 2yr physiotherapy clinic volunteer, peer mentoring, a few scholarships (mostly research-related), TA for physiology/anatomy courses, marathon runner, was on a few committees during my grad degree, currently working in a lab.

My biggest weakness is definitely my GPA but I managed to get an interview to Queens this year so all the american rejections were a bit more surprising and disappointing. Currently on the waitlist at Queens. I would also suggest making sure your personal statement is very strong and get lots of people to edit it.

Hi all,

I have made a final list of 21 schools that I am interested in applying, but due to time and money restrictions, I can only apply to 15-17 of them at most. I was wondering if you could please help me narrow this list and get rid of 4-6 schools.

MCAT: 14/8/12

ECs: typical - 2 years of research, TA, tutor, 2-3 year hospital volunteer, volunteer for Heart and Stroke Foundation and a couple of other organizations, club execs for a couple of years ****NO shadowing as it is not allowed in Canada****

Here is my list:

1. Albert Einstein
  2. Boston
  3. CWRU
  4. Rosalind Franklin
  5. Columbia
  6. Dartmouth
  7. George Washington
  8. Georgetown
  9. Mayo
  10. Oakland
  11. Sidney Kimmel
  12. NY Upstate
  13. Stony Brook
  14. Tulane
  15. Maryland
  16. Utah
  17. Virginia
  18. Virginia Commonwealth
  19. Cornell
  20. West Virginia
  21. Yale

Thank you all so much!!

Why is Wayne State not on your list? they take the most amount of Canadians out of any US school.

Why is Wayne State not on your list? they take the most amount of Canadians out of any US school.

I removed Wayne State as I realized it is located in Detroit and I would not be willing to live in Detroit even if I received an offer due to safety concerns.

Add NYMC as well as Central Michigan. Michigan schools are most Canadian friendly.

I removed NYMC as it requires 4 years of escrow which I am not able to provide at this moment.

According to MSAR, Central Michigan is by far the most expensive school for OOS, and its stats (MCAT and GPA Range) are not even good at all. So it would not be worth the huge amount of debt that I will be in after attending that school.

Wayne is perfectly fine, you need to do more research if you're fearing for safety.  

But to each their own.

Yeah man, like, David Sarif is trying to revitalize it and everything...Wait, wrong decade. http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Sarif_Industries_Headquarters

But yeah, sorry OP, can't help you on that one, don't got the money for American schools so haven't done research on it :(.

Hi all,

MCAT: 14/8/12 (Total: 34)

Here is my list:

• Albert Einstein
  • Boston
  • CWRU
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Columbia
  • Dartmouth
  • George Washington
  • Georgetown
  • Mayo
  • Oakland
  • Sidney Kimmel
  • NY Upstate
  • Stony Brook
  • Tulane
  • Maryland
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Cornell
  • West Virginia
  • Yale

Thank you all so much!!

I personally wouldn't bother with GWU or Jefferson. Low yield and Jefferson is just...odd. I'm not sure they ever really reviewed my application.

Are Canadians eligible to apply for Fee Assistance Programs (FAP) or any school-specific fee waiver programs?

No. As a Canadian, you're really not eligible for any kind of financial assistance, be it for your application or your education. 

I personally wouldn't bother with GWU or Jefferson. Low yield and Jefferson is just...odd. I'm not sure they ever really reviewed my application.

The process for Jefferson is somewhat unique. You need to really demonstrate to them that you want to go there. That entails calling and e-mailing the admissions office, reiterating your interest, etc. etc. 

As for it being low yield, how do you quantify that? I know of 4-5 Canadians there in the 2019 class, and I personally know several more for 2020. They don't have in-state preference, so applying as an out of state student, you're treated like everyone else. Further, they have a decent amount of acceptances sent to Canadians - matriculating Canadians, however, is a different matter.

OP - I'd say if you apply to Jefferon, follow up with the school and express your interest. That'll help your odds.

No. As a Canadian, you're really not eligible for any kind of financial assistance, be it for your application or your education. 

The process for Jefferson is somewhat unique. You need to really demonstrate to them that you want to go there. That entails calling and e-mailing the admissions office, reiterating your interest, etc. etc. 

As for it being low yield, how do you quantify that? I know of 4-5 Canadians there in the 2019 class, and I personally know several more for 2020. They don't have in-state preference, so applying as an out of state student, you're treated like everyone else. Further, they have a decent amount of acceptances sent to Canadians - matriculating Canadians, however, is a different matter.

OP - I'd say if you apply to Jefferon, follow up with the school and express your interest. That'll help your odds.

I'd agrree about Jefferson, just did a quick facebook search and it shows a few canadians in their 2019 class, that I have mutual friends with.

For full clarity the school i'm referring to is Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University.

Definitely seems like one of those schools that is about fit, and about you reaching out to them to show interest.

Thanks everyone!

Two questions:

1) Utah requires min of 8 hours of shadowing. Is there any way to get this shadowing done in Canada or waive this requirement?

2) Is there any other university in my list that REQUIRES some shadowing as I do not have any as of today?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

GWU low yield is simple. They get the most applications of any school in the US. Purely a numbers game.

Thanks everyone!

Two questions:

1) Utah requires min of 8 hours of shadowing. Is there any way to get this shadowing done in Canada or waive this requirement?

2) Is there any other university in my list that REQUIRES some shadowing as I do not have any as of today?

Thanks,

You can try to fly under the radar if you have connections, but it'll be tough. Some schools are understanding, others not. You can try to reference policy documents that indicate shadowing isn't allowed (I know BC has one from the CPSC).

Archived